Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

52488 Pte.William Armstead, 4th King's Liverpool Regiment

Old Chap

Good afternoon,

Could anyone possibly please check the Oldham newspaper for a casualty photo please? I'm looking for 52488 Pte.William Armstead, 4th King's Liverpool Regiment. William won the MM with the 1st King's Liverpool battalion before being transferred and killed in action, 23/4/17. He was formerly in the Manchester's.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Not what you asked for, Bill, but from the Diary......

"22nd April 1917 Hindenburg Support Line

Heavy bombardment by the enemy at 4 am. 6 men wounded, 3 killed.

23rd April 1917

33rd Division takes part in a general attack, zero 4:45 AM. Battn in Bde Reserve. A Coy attached to 4th Suffolks engaged in bombing down the HINDENBURG SUPPORT LINE. All available men engaged in bomb carrying to forward Coys. 2nd Lts L W A Back and H S Aslachson killed, 2nd Lt R Reid wounded, estimated casualties OR 50.

24th April 1917

Battn relieved and marched to Sunken Road. 2 Lts L W A Back and H S Aslachson buried at T.34 C 45. Men allowed to rest.“

Pte Armistead is one of 18 men as recorded by CWGC as being killed that day. Interestingly, 2/Lt Aslachson is shown on CWGC with a date of death as 25th April.

Old Chap. Afraid John H is wrong in saying that no mention of your man in the Oldham newspaper, his name appears at least 7 times only once spelt ARMSTEAD all others ARMSHEAD. He lived at 455 Ripponden Road Oldham. I will have a look for his photo in the paper the next time I am in Oldham (might even do it tomorrow Thursday). His name appears on 9-12-16;16-12-16;12-5-17;2-2-18 and 20-11-17, Ralph.

Just as a point of interest the Oldham group of newspapers produced photographs of Oldham men up until the end of 1916 in a supplement "Our Local Heroes", they then stopped - too many casualties and painful for the town, many photos appear in the paper after that date but have not been catalogued as such, so I may strike it lucky, but will do my best for you. Ralph.

Thanks for all the replies and information guys. Going from the London Gazette date, i think William won his MM for the Battle of the Ancre. I presume he was wounded and then transferred to the 4th KLR. The MM award is for escaping as a P.o.W. while in the German trenches!

If any further information turns up Ralph it would be much appreciated.

Thank you everyone.

Bill

Bill.I will make a note of every entry I find. Ralph.

Many thanks Ralph

Sorry for the long delay, having had`the computor cleaned up. Success on your man, found a photo and a great report on his "adventures" with the Hun. Let me have your address via a PM and I will send you what I have had copied. Ralph.

Thought other members might be interested in your mans tale. From the Oldham Chron 20 January 1917. Officialy reported dead. Wounded prisoners escape from the Germans. Eleven days in an enemy dugout. Some weeks ago we reported the receipt of official word that Pte Wm Armstead of Roundthorne Rd Oldham had been killed in action between Nov 13-15th. This report was erroneous and his family recently had the best evidence of that by his return home, to the glad surprise of all concerned. Armsteads narrative is as follows:- Along with half a dozen tanks our regt attacked the German lines as soon as daylight broke on the 13th Nov. I had been in three previous charges without being touched but this time I was shot through the thigh. I dont know what happened to the rest of our men, but I lay between our trenches and those of the enemy from early morning until late at night. The we heard someone moving about, and thought it was our own men coming to the rescue. The visitors proved to be Germans, however, and they took nine of us into their first line trench dug-out. These were large and comfortable, with boarded floors and sides. All the nine of us were wounded. The Germans treated us very well, and gave us a decent bed each. We were fed on brown bread and figs and dates for the first four or five days. There were 25 Germans in the same trench as us, but about the fifth day the British began to pound the trench with heavy shells. Eighteen of the Germans were killed, leaving only five to guard us. We were quite unarmed and were left very much to ourselves , as we were not thought to be at all dangerous. There were only two of us who could move at all, myself and a man named Wright of the Essex Rgt, and I could only crawl a little. Not one of us had a match or watch and we lost all count of time and dates. On what proved to be the ninth day of our confinement we heard a whistle blown and thought it must be the signal for the Germans to move and take us with them. We wanted to get back to our lines and could see that it was us or the Germans for it. Wright and I got out of bed and crawled around the place to look for anything which would help us escape. To our great delight we found a few German bombs in a corner. Taking two or three each we crawled back and could see the five Germans sitting round a stove . I was to throw the first bomb, and Wright the next if mine failed to act. However my bomb struck the stove and blew both stove and men to pieces. Fortunately none of the flying fragments struck either of us. Our comrades were in a pitiable state by this time but one of them, hearing that there was a chance of escape, determined to come along with Wright and myself. He did so, and we crawled along the trench to our left. We heard German voices, however, and had to return to the dugouts we had left. Whilst on this journey the man who had joined us went raving mad and died. Wright and I were so exhausted when we got back that we had to rest for a day. We then decided that there was nothing for it but to go over the top. We tossed up which went first, and the lot fell to Wright. We knew the enemy had snipers out and I warned Wright to be careful. I got a place where I could see his movements. He crawled cautiously along for a time, and then suddenly jumped up and began running. He had scarcely started however, before he was shot down by a sniper. I made up my mind that I would keep close to the ground all the way when I went over that piece of "No mans land". I crawled out, and when I got to Wright I found that he had been killed instantly, shot through the head. Looking forward I could see what prompted him to get to his feet,and run. In a sunken road a little further ahead was one of our tanks. I was so overjoyed that I believe I should have done the same as he did if my weakness and the wound in my leg had not prevented me. As it was I crawled along until I reached the Tank. The distance I had travelled was only about 1,000 yards, but it took me over 6 hours to do it. I had to rest in shell holes. and at one place I got fast on some barbed wire. I had the greatest difficulty in extricating myself, and tore my wrist so badly that it had to be stitched later on. To my great disappointment there were none of our men in or near the Tank, so I crawled inside it for a rest. At lengh I heard voices and crawling outside came across an advance post of the Northumberland Fusiliers.They gave me food and drink, and attended to my wounds. After a rest I took them back to the dug-out, and all six remaining men were brought back safely. I made enquiries about dates and found that I had been a prisoner eleven days. Looking back over the period it seemed as though it might have been eleven years.

Fantastic account, Ralph, thanks for taking the time to type it up.

Thanks Steve, would be better under "Soldiers" forum, never thought of it when I typed it out and do not know how to move it . Ralph.

Superb Ralph. Many thanks for taking the time to do the research. I'm gob smacked by what you have found out.

Regards,

Bill

The other entries in the paper are as follows :-9th Dec 1916 page 7 column 2 reported KIA M/cr Regt attchd Kings L/pool;formerly West Cottages Mossley; 9th Dec 1916 page 10 column 2 Roll of Honour; 16th Dec 1916 page 1 column 2 Roll of Honour; 12th May 1917 page 9 column 2 reported KIA; 12th May 1917 page 10 column 4 Roll of Honour;2nd Feb 1918 page 9 column 4 photo of 366 Roundthorn Road Oldham. Report on the same day as follows :- On Thursday morning Mrs Armstead 459 Ripponden Road went to Ashton Barracks and recd the MM won by her late husband Pte William Armstead KLR who was kia 23 4 1917. Armstead was a Mossley man and enlisted in the early part of 1915 in the M/crs later being transferred to the KLR.At the time his wife and 3 children lived in Roundthorn Rd and he was erroniously reported to have been killed between Nov 13-16 1916 but he was wounded in the thigh and taken prisoner. Later he came home and an account of his experiences appeared in the Chron at the time (as posted) Before enlisting he was a bobbin carrier at Mr R Fittons Watersheddings Mill.Hope this helps. Regards. Ralph.

Bill. A little more if you dont have it on Williams family, he married Jane Connell in St Georges Church Mossley on the 26th July 1913, his three children were Harold born 1914 in Mossley, John born 1915 in Oldham and May born 1916 in Oldham. All the reports from the paper in todays post. Ralph.

Also his son Harold married Irene Barber in Moorside Oldham 1936 and May married Ernest Heald same church in 1939.

Many thanks Ralph. I'm going to build a history William. I feel like i know the man.

Great mate.

Bill

Ralph,

Received the post today and wow. What a superb article on William's escape. The photo is an addition welcome item as well. I can only say a million thank yous to you.

I really appreciate everything mate.

If you need any help on anything Liverpool Pals related drop me a line anytime.

Cheers,

Bill

I really appreciate it Ralph. Thanks once again.

Bill

• 1 year later...

How apt to read this amazing story of courage at the time of the centenary of WW1. It is a shame we did not know earlier of our Great Uncle William Armstead' s wartime heroism and sad demise whilst fighting for his country. His nephew, Frank, who lived to a hundred, would have been extremely proud. We shall pass on this information to other family members who we are sure will be fascinated by these events, especially the three young boys who are great, great, great nephews.

Thank you to all the people who have contributed to this forum to follow the events of William Armstead's life.

• 2 years later...

Can I add to this .....that we have just visited the Arras Memorial and seen William Armstead's name inscribed on one of the panels, with the addition of MM in recognition of his military medal. The timing of the visit was unplanned but happened to be 2 days before the centenary of the Battle of Arras.

Another poignant time especially driving through the Somme district and seeing all the signs to cemeteries and memorials maintained so well.

from his great nephew and wife

Hello Bluefoot,

Here is a photograph of your great uncle together with his medals and memorial plaque.

Sadly I no longer know the whereabouts of the medals, although I did have them in my collection years ago.

Neil

Armstead group.jpg