Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dorsetshire Regiment help required (6th Btn)

arboskittler

Hi folks.

My Great Uncle served with the Worcestershire Regiment and I'm trying to put some 'meat on the bones' from a diary entry of his for the 25th April 1917.

The particular entry I'm looking at reads - "On fatigue at live bombing school, accident to one of the Dorsets"

Now, assuming that accident = killed, then the only reference I can see for a Dorsets death on this date (using Geoff's database),is for a William John Evans (no.22168). The record says that he was with the 6th Battalion.

As one of my uncle's diary entries for the following day puts him at Rouen station (loading timber), I'm assuming that the bombing school would be close by.

The question that I need help on is - "Was the 6th btn, Dorsets at or near Rouen on the 25th April 1917?" (the answer could then support my theory that William Evans was indeed the man who had the 'accident').

Cheers in advance,

Andy.

Andy

From the info I have they were in the front line at Fampoux-Monchy until 11.30pm this date when they were relieved to billets in Arras.

post-10072-0-86434800-1378546181_thumb.j

What regiment in the Worcs are we talking about ??

Regards,

Graeme

The 6th Dorsets were near Monchy (Arras) on 25 April 1917 attempting to take Bayonet trench

Justin H

Thanks Graeme, regimental history a touch out, thanks for clarification.

Justin H

• 3 weeks later...