Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres 8 years after the war - video

egbert

Another great film - where do you dig them up from?

Ant

Excellent even eight years after Inverness Copse ( wrecked tank) seems to consist of one shattered tree.

Norman

i'm having trouble seeing it, it's pixelating. Maybe just a bad connection speed at the moment?

Mike

Nothing wrong here Mike in fact a superb image :thumbsup:

Fascinating film, as an ecologist, a particular interest of mine is the restoration and recolonisation of the battlefield areas and how this was accomplished.

Allan Douglas

Must be my connection. Another game of tennis Norman?

Mike

Of course not Mike, have you tried another Browser?.

Norman

:P

Might be my operating system?

Anyway, enough of that. I will keep trying, and I look forward to seeing it without all the little boxes.

Mike

Thanks for posting that Egbert. My grandfather lay in a shell hole at ypres for three days from July 31st 1917, and consequently lost his arm to gangrene.

Hazel

More great images

Roger

Unbelievable how big the mess still was, even after eight years...

Roel

Fantastic film Egbert. I was not surprised to see the many stark dead tree trunks that had been shelled to bits, but amazed by those trees that had survived with flimsy branches which had miraculously grown back from the tops of the trunks in a weird sort of way.

Anne

Thanks for posting that Egbert. My grandfather lay in a shell hole at ypres for three days from July 31st 1917, and consequently lost his arm to gangrene.

Hazel

Small world Hazel,

my Grandfather lay at Ypres (Chateau Herenthage) fighting the Cheshire and was shot through his hand or arm Nov 1914, and consequently luckily was sent back home for re convalescence

Small world Hazel,

my Grandfather lay at Ypres (Chateau Herenthage) fighting the Cheshire and was shot through his hand or arm Nov 1914, and consequently luckily was sent back home for re convalescence

My grandfather was at Ypres in 1914 also but was with the 1st Seaforth ( Meerut Div.) at that point. I think he escaped that part unscathed but his visit in 1917with the 8th Seaforth was a bit different. Good job both our grandfathers survived!!

Hazel