Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial Grounds.

Bob Coulson

Looking through the CWGC site recently and reading through the countries and burial lists noticed that under the "Burial Grounds" column France has an entry of an incredible 2911.

I assume this must cover all cemeteries with even just one or two graves up to the main sites as well.

Could someone please clarify.?

As far as I am aware this is the total number of burial sites i.e. places with one or more grave; so it includes communal cemeteries as well as War Cemeteries - this total must also include WW2, as I thought there were around 1800+ WW1 sites in France (I believe the last register published was France 1895 - Terry will confirm?)

The figure of 2911 cemeteries in France includes those from WW2.

The number of individual sites for WW1 is 1971 including the few isolated graves. This includes memorials as well as cemeteries. However, CWGC count some extensions to cemeteries as a separate location.

The last WW1 France register published was No.1896 for Canadian Cemetery No.2, Neuville St Vaast which did not come out until 1967. There are a small number of burial locations which never appeared in any register.

Bob - I can email you a list of all the sites if you wish.

Terry,

Thanks for the offer but courtesy of you I already have the French & Belgian cemetery lists for WW1, you sent me them last year sometime, along with a list of where they were all concentrated from.

Bob.

Guest Simon Bull

Could I ask whether the Michelin maps marking the CWGC cemeteries mark absolutely all of the burials for which the CWGC is responsible?

Simon Bull

Simon

No they certainly do not. They only show the CWGC cemeteries in the main areas and miss out most of the communal cemeteries.

I can email you a complete current list of the WW1 France & Belgium sites if you wish.

Terry,

Don't know if you noticed on one of the other threads but could you e-mail me the list of names for the proposed new memorial?

Would be most grateful.

Bob.