Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Posthumous Medals

susan1962

Hi ,

does anyone know if those who died were given posthumous medals and if so where I would find the information about them?(tried the MIC at the National Archives and the name I want doesn't come up).

Susan

Medals for service were given to the next of kin for those who died. The medals issued were 1914 Star, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory medal. These medals were issued depending on if the man or woman who died were intitled to them. There would also be a Memorial Plaque and in the case of Canadians a Memorial Cross if there was a wife or mother living at the time. Hope this helps.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Presumably you have visited the CWGC site to check Casualty status? :)

Hi Harry,

yes,checked the CWGC website.He's listed as Killed in Action.Therefore it's a mystery why I can't get his name up on the MIC.His surname was Timms and only 2 Timms come up and neither are him.Tried different spelling combinations too of his surname.No luck.He's certainly on the casualty list for the 2/5th Bn Sherwood Forresters for the day he died(21/03/18-at Noreuil).I've seen it.Surely they would have awarded him medals.The poor man was blown up serving king and Country on the front line! His body was never found and his name is on the Arras memorial.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Susan

The on-line MIC system is not yet complete.

I am not sure that the letter 'T's have been fully loaded yet.

Susan,

As Tom says the Ts are not complete. Please PM me his full name and number and I will look him up for you when I am next at the PRO.

Ian :)

Dear Terry and Ian,

if the MIC is not complete then that would explain my missing relative.Problem very possibly solved!

Ian it's very kind of you to offer to look him up at the PRO when you next go.Are you sure you don't mind?

If you don't then if I may I'll take you up on your generous offer.His name was:-

Thomas Edward TIMMS.

Private.

2/5th Bn ,Sherwood Foresters.(Notts and Derby Regt.)

Died,Thursday,21st March,1918

Many thanks.