Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifles/Heilly casualtyclearing Station

susan1962

Hi,

can anyone tell me where the 2nd Bn,Kings Royal Rifles were and what fighting they were engaged in around the date of the 12th Sept 1916?

Also,does anyone know about the Casualty clearing stations at Heilly that time?

Is it possible to find a particular soldier listed in any of the stations at any particular time?

Susan

The following is taken from Westlake's "British Battalions on the Somme":

2nd Battalion KRRC, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division.

To front line High Wood (31/8). Enemy attack driven off (2/9). To Black Wood in support (5/9), fron line opposite Wood Lane (7/9). Attack on Wood Lane (9/9). To Becourt Wood (10/9), Baizieux (12/9), via Millencourt and Albert to Lozenge Wood (19/9), Black Wood (20/9).

There were a number of Casualty Clearing Stations based in Heilly at various times during the 1916 Somme battle (taken from Gliddon's "When The Barrage Lifts") :

No. 21 CCS, XV Corps

No. 20 CCS

No. 27 CCS, 4th Army (att. 1st ANZAC)

No. 36 CCS (1 April 1916 - April 1917)

No. 38 CCS (Arrived May 1916)

2/2 London (Arrived July 1916)

Hope this helps

Rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

many thanks for your reply(you seem to be helping me a lot by answering my queries :) on this forum this week-many thanks).The info you gave me was extremely useful... it is extremely useful

It's a pleasure Susan. Glad I can be of some assistance!

As a matter of interest, are you researching soldiers from the East Midlands? I noticed that a lot of your requests seem to centre on soldiers and units from this area.

Rgds

Ed

Just for anyone else reading this thread. The locations and relevant dates of all Casualty Clearing Stations and hospitals in France can be found on the Long, Long Trail website. They are in both cases indexed by placename and by unit.

Hi Ed,

the reason I'm intersted in soldiers from the East Midlands is because I'm doing some family research and the relevant relatives come from the Nottingham/Newark and South Lincolnshire areas.