Remembered Today:

Narrow gauge RR video. Ride from depot to combat zone

egbert

Fascinating

These films are just so good and clear For that time. Brilliant thanks. Mike

Egbert, that's brilliant

Justin H

Great footage, thanks Egbert.

Did i spot a prisoner of war work party at @ one minute seven seconds into the film. It is to the left of the scene. The men are carrying shovels.

Could be wrong.

Cheers Egbert.

Great footage, thanks Egbert.

Did i spot a prisoner of war work party at @ one minute seven seconds into the film. It is to the left of the scene. The men are carrying shovels.

Could be wrong.

Cheers Egbert.

Possible right. I see one guard accompanying the group

Tremendous film quality Egbert..many thanks...

regards

Tom

p.s. It would be an interesting exercise in trying to determine whereabouts on the front the film was shot....

I'm intrigued by the varying states of the track. Some parts look like they've been thrown down a minute before the train appeared but others look to have been laid very carefully. There's a check-rail around a sharp RH curve, for example. It's only a pity that there isn't a date with it.

Keith

Thinking about it, I can't help wondering whether this wasn't shot during the summer of 1918. The Germans had captured a lot of Entente ground, of course, in Operation Michael, which would explain the British stores dump and well-established artillery positions that would have been several miles behind British lines, as well as the extremely relaxed attitude of all the soldiers. It also makes me wonder, given that both sides used 600mm-gauge lines, whether the Germans incorporated some of the captured track. Even if they didn't, there must have been quite a lot of it to be recovered and reused, not that you could establish that sort of thing from this.

Keith

Considering the huge depots captured and the tracks passing old trenches it must be 1918 at the occasionof the last and great push

Fantastic links and films...thanks Egbert. At 4:09 there is a readable sign which says "Pion.- Park Ecoust-St. Mein". Looks like there's a lot of hay etc.

Astonishing! I wonder if Egbert's links could be put into one thread. I shall try and contact a mod

Roger

Edit

Or perhaps Egbert could re-post the links in one thread himself?

You can see the line of the old track winding between Bullecourt and Ecoust St Mein. Amazing ghost railway.

At which minute in the film please?

Astonishing! I wonder if Egbert's links could be put into one thread. I shall try and contact a mod

Roger

Edit

Or perhaps Egbert could re-post the links in one thread himself?

Roger, from now on I will tag them "Bundesarchiv - video" . So by clicking on the tag you will find all posted ones.

Ah, great idea Egbert

Roger