Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion, the East Yorkshire Regiment (Hull Commercials)

Salfordian

I am interested in action by the Commercials around September 1918 in Flanders. The person I am really interested in is Pte. 30241 Charles Ernest Vickers, MM. died 29/09/1918. Buried Underhill Farm.

I am keen to find out why he got MM and if possible where he died or medal card.

Any help will be great

Hope you are all fine and have a great Monday.

Steve

War Diary will tell you,it's digital and obtainable here for 3.36 :

http://www.discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4555508

10EYR were part of 92 Brigade of 31Division and on 29 Sept 1918 were involved in the Battle of Ypres (28 Sep to 2 Oct). The unit had 16 casualties on the 29th and all buried in Underhill Farm, Ploegsteert Wood,6 the day before also.

Checked link,not linking ! Ref WO95/2357 is what you need.

Charles' papers are available at ancestry, enlisted with DLI transferred to Manchesters on arrival in France and then to the East Yorkshires, can't find no mention of his MM though and he's not listed in David Bilton's ' The Trench'. The battalion attacked Ploegsteert Wood on the 28th

Jon

30241 Pte C E Vickers MM is in the Roll of Honour in the Battalion history, but not among the List of Awards (which shows awards won only with the Battalion). It seems his MM was won with either the Durhams or Manchesters.

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...

Do you already have this? There is some information about him in the Dinsdale database on the East Yorkshire Regiment site:

'Private Charles Ernest Vickers 30241 Birthplace: Staindrop County Durham. Enlisted: Stockton on Tees. 10th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. Awards: Military Medal. Formerly 39458 Durham Light Infantry ?. Military Medal London Gazette 30873 26 August 1918. Memorial D56 Underhill Farm Cemetery. Son of Mrs Vickers of Ovington, Winston, Darlington; husband of Margaret Hannah Vickers, of Hurworth on Tees, Darlington'

http://www.east-yorkshire-regiment.co.uk/_content/dbase/result.php?seq=14137

• 1 month later...

I am Interested in Sergeant Robert Lee M.M. of the 10th. Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment. His M.M Gazette date was 10/18/1918, issue 30962. He was my grandfather and I would like to know what other medal he received.

Yes he was 10/1000 Robert Lee. By the 15 Trio, I think you mean the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, and the Victory Medal? I take it that he only just qualified for the Star as they arrived on active service in Egypt on 30 December 1915, and the Star recognizes service from 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915.

My understanding from my mother is that he retrieved three fellow soldiers under enemy fire, for which he was awarded the M.M. Do you know anything more about this?

• 3 years later...
On 9/2/2013 at 10:17, Salfordian said:

I am interested in action by the Commercials around September 1918 in Flanders. The person I am really interested in is Pte. 30241 Charles Ernest Vickers, MM. died 29/09/1918. Buried Underhill Farm.

I am keen to find out why he got MM and if possible where he died or medal card.

Any help will be great

Hope you are all fine and have a great Monday.

Steve

hello

Charles Ernest Vickers was my maternal grandfather . I have his Military Medal as well as his other war medals .

I do not know for certain why it was awarded , but my grandmother thought he had brought to safety an injured comrade .

with best regards

Tony Waddington