Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Dust Jackets

Dust Jacket Collector

As there seems to be only 1 posting in this section I fear this may be in the wrong place, but here goes anyway.

I'd like to draw attention to my website that shows the original dust jackets on works of WW1 literature published between 1914 & 1939.

www.greatwardustjackets.co.uk

Whilst aimed chiefly at fellow collectors to show the original appearance of these books the jackets are more than just a collectors foible. Many jackets carry information on the author which is otherwise absent from the book itself & many were strikingly illustrated - a form of War Art which has been sadly overlooked. It is also instructive to see how these books were originally promoted by their publishers.

There are over 2000 jackets currently on show around half of which are from my own collection. New images are always gratefully received and are duly acknowledged. I'm always happy to provide better images if the book is in my possession.

Your site is absolutely fascinating - thanks for posting details!

William

I've looked at this site before and it is fascinating. I've always enjoyed looking at the artwork on the dustjackets and inside old titles. Sadly, my old books from the Great War don't have dustjackets, but I have a few (some tatty and well read) ones from WW2 and later.

Also, I don't know if you know but your site has been flagged up before on the GWF with a member posting the ones he owned

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138096&hl=%2Bdust+%2Bjackets

Thanks for the kind remarks. I missed the previous mention - I should have searched first. I suppose it's useful to bring it to the attention of new members. It's also given me more hits in a single day than I've had for years! I fear the whole thing is looking rather chaotic & amateurish these days but it's just too big to change now.

DJC,

amazing web site - will spend plenty of time trawling through the fabulous art work!

Thanks for posting.

Ant

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Just a quick message to let any of my viewers know that I've finally updated the site after nearly a month off due to ill health. Still rather weak but well enough to sit at my computer without falling off the chair! Nothing terribly exciting to mark my return apart from a jacketed copy of Ferdinand Tuohy's 'Battle of Brains'. Tuohy was a journalist who became a Captain in the Intelligence Service. He wrote five books relating to the War, this one a collection of espionage tales. If anyone has either his 'Cockpit of Peace' or 'Secret Corps' in jackets I'd be keen to see them.

On 3/30/2017 at 19:59, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Just a quick message to let any of my viewers know that I've finally updated the site after nearly a month off due to ill health. Still rather weak but well enough to sit at my computer without falling off the chair! Nothing terribly exciting to mark my return apart from a jacketed copy of Ferdinand Tuohy's 'Battle of Brains'. Tuohy was a journalist who became a Captain in the Intelligence Service. He wrote five books relating to the War, this one a collection of espionage tales. If anyone has either his 'Cockpit of Peace' or 'Secret Corps' in jackets I'd be keen to see them.

How good to see you back. Best wishes that health continues on the up and up