Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MacM

Hoping someone has the war diary or other information on the activities of the 5th Lancers in early September 1914. I have come across this account by a North Irish Horse officer in the Belfast News-Letter on 9 October 1914:

"We joined with the 5th Lancers ... and got into an awful hole at ----. We crossed the river, getting up on the heights with a troop, and there was a battery just going into action 800 yards away. We had to get down into the town. We were joined by two other troops and one of the 5th. To get away back all of us had to gallop down the road with two companies of infantry. We had two men hit and four horses, and the 5th had one man and three horses. I have never seen such bad shooting. After that we had the open to cross, and they gave us a real taste of shrapnel."

I'm keen to know where this action took place, and when. It may have been 8 September at St Cyr (referred to in the Official History), or perhaps the following day around Montreuil. But I'm just guessing. Hopefully there's a 5th Lancers expert out there who can point me in the right direction.

War Diary is in WO95/1134/2 which is not yet digital. If you have no success during the next week send me a PM and I will look it up at Kew on my visit.