Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Angus Brodie 1930 Corps Royal Engineers

CarolBrodie

Carol, just slipping off on a tangent here, my middle name is Leybourne and was my mothers maiden name. It's not often I see the name spelt this way and I would be interested in knowing if this was a family name of the Brodies'

Jon

yes it is, sometimes it's spelled Laybourne and other times it's Leybourne

The link is through Elizabeth Laybourne who was born 1818 near Durham, she was Angus's ( and my Grandpa's) paternal Great Grandmother

Interesting !

Carol

Carol, just slipping off on a tangent here, my middle name is Leybourne and was my mothers maiden name. It's not often I see the name spelt this way and I would be interested in knowing if this was a family name of the Brodies'

Jon

Hi Jon

Sorry for not responding sooner, well I did, I thought I'd responded - but hadn't - I've only joined a few days a go so still finding my way around !

Yes it is, sometimes it's spelled Laybourne and other times it's Leybourne

The link is through Elizabeth Laybourne who was born 1818 near Durham, she was Angus's ( and my Grandpa's) paternal Great Grandmother. On the 1911 census , which was hand written by the head of the house hold, his Dad has spelled his name Leybourne so I assume that he knew how to spell it !

Interesting !

Best wishes

Carol

• 1 year later...

Hi Carol

I've just come across your post. Angus Brodie was my great uncle. He and his brother Frank ( my maternal Grandfather) were both in the 50th Division. Frank was in the Field Ambulance Company and Angus in 50th Divisional Signal Company (which was part of the Royal Engineers). Frank survived the war.

As you say Angus is commemorated on the Menin Gate which I visited a few years ago. He is also named on the War Memorial in Newburn where he was born. I believe there is also a memorial inside the parish church but I've not been able to see it.

I have no information on how he was killed but according to the history of the 50th Division it took over the front line on 12 June 1915 following the 2nd battle of Ypres. It also mentions constant risk from snipers

Hope this is of interest

Ian