Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt. F Naylor

Minishawsi

Hello, I am trying to find out something about Sgt. F Naylor. I'll put in his information first.

Sgt. F Naylor 21531

B/95th Bde (Brigade) RFA (Bradford)

He received the London Gazette.

Basically what I want to find out is what he did in the battle of Demicourt. Because, correct me if I am wrong, it was the Australians that were fighting that. What would he have done and what did the British do? Also he received a french medal. What would he of had to done to receive the french medal? I'll post his medal card later.

Thanks, any help will be grateful.

Did you read his citation for the DCM awarded for his actions on 27.9.1918 ? There is a copy on Ancestry UK.

To be sure of what his unit was engaged in on the date you will need to see it's War Diary WO95/2142 which is at Kew,but not yet digital.

21 Division were fighting at Epehy on 18 Sept and were next in the Battle of St Quentin Canal from the 29th.

"For conspicuous gallantry and good works at Demicourt on 27 September 1918. When the Battery was supporting an attack by the Infantry and came under heavy shellfire he commanded his sub-section with great skill and by his fine example kept his gun in action throughout the attack"