Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Gilbert and Sullivan parodies sought

WilliamRev

A friend of mine is keen to trace any Great War parodies of Gilbert and Sullivan comic operas, or individual songs from them. For example, she has tracked down "When I Was a Lad" which is believed to date from 1918. It is called "Now I'm a General at the Ministry". I feel sure that there must exist parodies of KoKo's "Little List" song, etc.

Any ideas welcome!

William

There really should have been updated versions of the "Modern Major General" or the Heavy Dragoon song but I don't know of any.

Roger.

The inmates at Ruhlebin staged a complete parody called the Makeado however printed copies of this and any other parody (even though there were many) are likely to be hard to find as D'Oyly Carte were ferocious in protecting the copyright and quite prepared to sue (although you were allowed to vary the little list if performing in a licensed production).

I have a skit on the Admiral's Song from 'HMS Pinnafore' which was printed in the '5th Gloucester Gazette' in 1917. It begins:

"When war broke out, I thought I could assist,

So into the Infantry I did enlist.

I finished up my training somewhere down in Kent,

And very, very quickly out to France was sent."

If your friend doesn't have it, I can transcribe it all.

Ian

I have a skit on the Admiral's Song from 'HMS Pinnafore' which was printed in the '5th Gloucester Gazette' in 1917. It begins:

To be a mite pedantic it isn't the Admiral's song its Sir Joseph Porter's song - Porter isn't an Admiral - that's the point - he's a civilian but as 1st Lord of the Admiralty he is "the ruler of the Queen's navy" In WW1 (at the start) Churchill was 1st Lord of the Admiralty - a civilian post whilst Admiral Jellicoe was 1st Sea Lord - a military post.

To be a mite pedantic it isn't the Admiral's song its Sir Joseph Porter's song - Porter isn't an Admiral - that's the point - he's a civilian but as 1st Lord of the Admiralty he is "the ruler of the Queen's navy" In WW1 (at the start) Churchill was 1st Lord of the Admiralty - a civilian post whilst Admiral Jellicoe was 1st Sea Lord - a military post.

A Naval post surely?

A Naval post surely?

The Navy is a military establishment as is the RAF and the Army - the armed forces

To be a mite pedantic it isn't the Admiral's song its Sir Joseph Porter's song

I absolutely refuse to countenance any suggestion that you would embrace, though ever so arachnida-like, pedantry.

The Navy is a military establishment as is the RAF and the Army

I am not saying it isn't. But I don't think anyone in the Navy would call the position of 1st Sea Lord a military post, they would all call it a Naval post.

Thanks Ian - what you called "the Admiral's Song" from HMS Pinafore, is the same song (i.e. "When I was a lad") that my friend already has words for and which I mentioned in my original post, so unless you think that 5th Gloucesters version is an utter masterpiece, I suspect that my friend will stick with the version she has.

No more navel/military pedantry in this thread please :rolleyes: : Any other G&S parodies?

William

Hi Warwick

Yes, I know all about Derek Oldham - a wonderful singer - I helped write that Wikepedia article!

William

Thanks Ian - what you called "the Admiral's Song" from HMS Pinafore, is the same song (i.e. "When I was a lad") that my friend already has words for and which I mentioned in my original post, so unless you think that 5th Gloucesters version is an utter masterpiece, I suspect that my friend will stick with the version she has.

Fair enough.

I am not saying it isn't. But I don't think anyone in the Navy would call the position of 1st Sea Lord a military post, they would all call it a Naval post.

I'm not in the navy but I have been MOD, I used, correctly, military to distinguish from Civilian - your original point or were you just stirring?

AHEM! (clears throat in slightly tetchy manner). I'm not having my thread hi-jacked by Centurian and Gareth's naval chat, fascinating though it may be.....

Gilbert and Sullivan parody thoughts only please!

William

AHEM! (clears throat in slightly tetchy manner). I'm not having my thread hi-jacked by Centurian and Gareth's naval chat, fascinating though it may be.....

William

Well I did tell you about the Makeado!

Well I did tell you about the Makeado!

Oh yes, so you did! (It got hidden behind the subsequent stuff...) many thanks indeed! That is interesting and possibly useful info.. And yes, I know what you mean about the D'Oyly Carte's protection of their copyright - it might scupper my friend's hope that she will find parodies in printed form.

William

William

And I did send you a PM to apologise.

Apologies not necessary - I have sent a PM to this effect! :thumbsup:

I'm not in the navy but I have been MOD, I used, correctly, military to distinguish from Civilian - your original point or were you just stirring?

PM sent.

Shall we move this off topic discussion to this thread?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=198362&hl=

• 5 weeks later...

The inmates at Ruhlebin staged a complete parody called the Makeado however printed copies of this and any other parody (even though there were many) are likely to be hard to find as D'Oyly Carte were ferocious in protecting the copyright and quite prepared to sue (although you were allowed to vary the little list if performing in a licensed production).

After a little more research, a friend of mine, who buys and sells Gilbert and Sullivan and theatrical ephemera, turns out to have at one time owned a copy of Ruhleben Camp Magazine No.5 Xmas 1916, which has the complete text of The Makedo, and has e-mailed me scans. There are various obscure prison camp references which were presumably hysterical at the time, and other bits which only make sense if you have a good knowledge of Gilbert and Sullivan.

If anyone wants to know more (or wants a copy of the scans - 7 double-pages) feel free to contact me.

William