Remembered Today:

Evacuation of Casualties from Gallipoli

michaeldr

‘The Evacuation of Casualties from Gallipoli’

Reading around this subject it seems that there were no hard and fast rules and I sympathise with Steve and others who are desperately trying to find what may have happened to their men

We have all seen the flow charts, such as

Collecting Zone:

Regimental Stretcher Bearers

Advanced Dressing Station

Field Ambulances

Tent Division, Field Ambulance

Evacuation Zone:

Ambulances

Clearing Hospital

Ambulance Trains

Stationary Hospital

Distribution Zone:

Ambulance Trains

General Hospital

This example is Australian and from 1910/11, but it doesn’t really matter, because none of this theory could be applied on Gallipoli where there was no depth to the battlefield/theatre of anything like the 90+ miles called for in the three zones quoted above.

QUESTION: Would it help us, or indeed any future student/researcher, if we build up here a collection of case histories?

Let me give you a couple of examples which I have come across

AB Daniel Dunn RNVR Nelson Batt. RND

4 June 1915: B.W. Neck – this date is per his record card and his Hurt Certificate

However

6 June 1915: B. W. Neck – this date per his Casualty Form – Active Service (Army Form B103) and also carefully noted on his records together with the previous date

9 June 1915: Admitted RN Hospital Malta

7 July 1915: Transferred to Base Depot, Mustapha, Alexandria

19 Jul 1915: Alexandria, embarked HMT Esmeralda to rejoin unit, Dardanelles

This is my grandfather, who unfortunately left no diary to either amplify or clarify the

Navy’s rather confusing records

For the second example we are fortunate in having a detailed diary to back-up the records

[Acknowledgements here to Michael Caldwell who researched his grandfather,

and to Len Sellers who published the now sadly missed ‘RND’ magazine]

AB James Tyrer Caldwell RNVR Howe Batt. RND

4 June 1915: Barrage/Charge/Wounded. (GSW Compound fracture upper left forearm – arm shattered in 8 places)

Makes own way to Battalion Dressing Station – too many wounded already there so decides not to wait and bleed to death, but makes own way to (?) Dressing Station

After dressing is sent to ‘W’ Beach

Boards HMS Reindeer to Lemnos

5 June 1915: At Lemnos boards ‘Ascanius’

6 June 1915: Left Lemnos

7 June 1915: At sea

8 June 1915: 0330 hrs arrived Alexandria after c.55 hours sailing

9 June 1915: Disembarked. A lot of wounded taken to by train to Cairo, but RND wounded stay in Alexandria. Caldwell is taken to Glymenopoulo Hospital

10 Jun 1915: Treatment begins

[note: During the course of his treatment Cadwell is permitted to walk along the beach where he sees a body washed ashore – this was a 5th Manchesters man previously ‘buried at sea’]

16 Jul 1915: Fit enough to transfer to the UK – boarded ‘Asturiar’

17 Jul 1915: Sailed from Alexandria

20 Jul 1915: Called at Malta for supplies, then proceeded to Gibraltar for water

27 Jul 1915: Arrived Southampton early morning – train to Haslar Hospital

If you think that a listing of this sort of detail would be helpful then please add any examples which you may come across from whatever source

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Schwarer J W 7th Ba AIF

8/9 .8.15 Wounded Lone Pine

9 .8.15 2nd L.H. F. Amb .Adm. BW. Right Thigh. Gallipoli

13 .8.15 Disembarked Alexandria ex "Alannia" GSW. Lower extremities.

14 .8.15 A4 Admitted No 1 Aus. G.H.[ ?] Heliopolis.

14.8.15 A4 Tfd.to No.3 Aus.Hosp. Cairo

26.8.15 Tfd.to No.2 Aux.Hosp. Bomb Wd. R. Thigh

8.9.15 75 Admitted A.&.N.Z.Con.Hosp. Helouan

10.9.15 Tfd.for light duties Egypt to Zeitoun.

29.9.15 1st. A.G.Hos. Heliopolis Adm Cerebral Concussion

29.9.15 Tfd.to 3 Aux.Hosp Admitted Cerebral Concussion

Undated Proceeding to join M.E.F Cairo

4.11.15 Rejoined 7 Bn Sarpi Camp Lemnos

Michael

Despite having Jackie's "Casualty Form - Active Service" to read from, compiling the above summary was quite tedious. It is almost impossible to visualise the administrative effort required in maintaining such detail for so many individual casualties in the conditions applying to 1915. I realise that we must be thankful for the fact that these particular records are available, and feel sorry for those who must rely on other sources for their relatives' histories.

Good Luck

Pat

Ive not seen this type of detail before. Is this what the soldier' service records contain?

Personally, Id say its got to help future researchers and get them to their goal quicker, so its a very worthy idea. Especially in Gallipoli, for the reasons laid out above. Difficult theatre at times!

Yes, available for Australian servicemen from our National Archives.

They are being progressively being placed on line. You can ask for them to be digitised [free], or pay a few quid if you want hard copies 'on the spot'

Here's a sample from my collection for Sgt Ted Mofflin 11th Bn who was evacuated from Gallipoli sick.

16/07/15 - To Hospital Gallipoli

17/07/15 - To Hospital Lemonos 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station

18/07/15 - Admitted 1st Australian Stationary Hospital Lemnos

24/07/15 - Disembarked Malta to Hospital suffering Tympanitis

28/08/15 - Sent to England, admitted to Military hospital Fulham

01/12/15 - Placed on supernumerary list of NCO's

15/01/16 - Rejoined Unit.

29/02/16 - Transferred to 51st Battalion

05/06/16 - Disembarked with unit in France

07/07/16 - Died of Wounds received in action

See story below

Private Hugh Reynolds, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, son of Mr. Wm. John Reynolds of Adair’s Court, Ballymena, who has just received his discharge from the army, as the result of wounds received in action in the Dardanelles , was recently the recipient of a card signed by Lt. General A. Hunter Weston, of the 29th Division, congratulating him on the following act of bravery performed while on active service:-

"On the 29th April 1915, Pte. Reynolds carried Captain Riding on his back through heavy shell and rifle fire when retiring to a position as the Turks were advancing. Captain Riding would have been left to the mercy of the Turks. Reynolds carried him on his back about 700 yards across open plain and then was assisted to carry him down to the boat."

At that time he received a card from Sir Ian Hamilton recommending him for bravery on the field. Pte. Reynolds holds a long service medal and has two brothers with the colours, James and William John who are both in the R. Innis. Fus. His father was recently discharged from the Royal Irish Regiment on account of ill-health.

Ballymena Observer, November 17, 1916

des

I have a copy of the private diary of a second Lieutenant, David Campbell, of the 6th Royal Irish Rifles. He was wounded in the calf and foot during the 6thRIR assault on a Turksh position on the 9th of August 1915. A summary of his evacuation is as follows:

He was injured near the Farm.

Hobbles down for a few hundred yards towards the beach.

Carried by a Gurka for two hours to a First Aid post.

Two Stretcher bearers help him to C.C.S. He arrives at the C.C.S. at dusk (9/8/15)

Spends night at C.C.S.

On 10th an attempt is made to move casualties along beach to evacuation point. A number of stretcher bearers are wounded by sniper fire on the beach and the casualties are left on the beach which is being shelled.

Campbell gets off his stretcher and crawls to the Field Hospital/evacuation point.

Is told by orderly that the Hospital Ships are not taking anymore casualties that day as they are full.

Goes to jetty himself and gets on lighter with other wounded.

Lighter goes out to several Hospital Ships who refuse to take any more wounded.

Eventually taken on board a trawler. Trawler reaches Imbros about 12 midnight on the 10th. He is transferred to Hospital Ship (no name given).

Hospital Ship reaches harbour at Mudros, lies there for several days.

Transferred to the Acquatania, shares cabin with a Lieut. in the Manchesters.

Called at Naples to take on coal, calls at Gibraltar.

Reached Southhampton Sept. 23rd.

Transferred to Highclere Castle, looked after by Countness of Carnarvon,no less.

Campbell had only arrived on Gallipoli on the 5th of August and does not give much detail of the location of any of the First Aid posts etc. I suspect that this is because he was not familiar with the area.

Regards,

Liam.

Not sure if this is of interest. My Great Uncle James Patten and the fun he had in Gallipoli.

JAMES PATTEN Leading Seaman Drake Bn. RNVR TZ/3930.

1st August 1915, James is now transferred from Nelson to Drake battalion M.E.F. (Mediterranean Expeditionary Force).

20th August 1915, James arrived at Gallipoli to join the rest of the Drake battalion as a replacement for the men killed in the April landings and the 4 subsequent months.

30th September 1915, Sent to hospital on H.M.Hospital Ship Karapara, he was admitted to 15th General Hospital Alexandria (Egypt) suffering with Influenza.

30th November 1915, transferred from Alexandria to Mudros on Hospital Ship Delta, listed as Enteric.

4th December 1915, Invalided to England on Hospital Ship Mauretania from Mudros.

14th December 1915, admitted to Haslar hospital (Portsmouth) – Enteritis satisfactory.

1st February 1916, discharged from Haslar Hospital to Blandford 1st Reserves.

His fully history can be seen here:-

http://www.freewebs.com/darryldanielle/robertjamespatten.htm

• 1 month later...

Evacuation details for 3 of my soldiers:

Butterworth, E.T. 886, 7th Bn AIF

25/4/15 - Wounded Gallipoli

[remained in place for 7 hours til dark, then made own way to dressing station on the beach]

25-30/4/15 - Adm. HMHS 'Honius' Dardenelles (Shrapnel wound shoulder)

1/5/15 - Adm. Kasr-el-Airi Hosp. Cairo

3/5/15 - Adm. H.S. 'Goorkha' goin to England

16/5/15 - Adm. 2nd W.G.H. Manchester

21/7/15 - Proc. rejoin M.E.F. Weymouth

3/8/15 - Disemb. ex 'Grampian' Alexandria

10/8/15 - Emb. 'Cawdor Castle' for Dardenelles

15/8/15 - Rej. Bn Gallipoli

[Note: will post Ted's letter describing Landing, wounding etc separately]

Stephenson, A.J. 966, 7th Bn AIF

8/5/15 - Wounded Gallipoli

8-11/5/15 - Adm. 'Braemer Castle' Dardenelles (GSW shoulder)

18/5/15 - Disemb. Malta R.A.M.C.

19/6/15 - Emb. 'Achia' from Alexandria

25/6/15 - Rej. Bn Gallipoli

9/11/15 - To Hosp. Sarpi Camp Lemnos

9/11/15 - Adm. No. 3 Aus Gen Hosp from No. 2 Fld Amb. (enlarged liver - Para-typhoid)

22/12/15 - Disch. to Base from No. 3 Gen Hosp. Lemnos

22/12/15 - Adm. H.S. 'Soudan'

23/12/15 - left Mudros

26/12/15 - Disemb. Malta

26/12/15 - Adm. Mil Hosp. Ricasoli

16/1/16 - Emb 'Valdavia' for Egypt

21/1/16 - Adm No. 1 Aus Gen Hosp Cairo

3/2/16 - Tsf to No. 2 Aux Hosp

9/2/16 - Emb. H.S. 'Nestor' Suez for return to Australia

[Note: Arthur left Australia again on the 25/10/16, landed France 13/3/17, rejoined his unit 20/3/17, and was killed at Bullecourt 4/5/17]

Lucas, E.J. 1980, 7th Bn AIF

8-9/8/15 - Wounded Lone Pine

9/8/15 - Adm 2nd LH Fld Amb (GSW L/forearm)

9/8/15 - Adm Hosp ship 'Devanha'

12/8/15 - Adm No. 2 Gen Hosp Ghezireh Cairo

23/8/15 - Tfd Mena Conv. Camp Cairo

31/8/15 - Disch. to Base Dtls

?19/10/15 - Proc. to join M.E.F.

29/11/15 - Rej. Bn [at a snow-covered] Anzac

Cheers, Frev.

G'day Frev

You may note from above that "My Man" was from 7 Btn as was Major Tubb VC and [then] Pompey Elliott.

May I ask about how your interest in the Seventh

ooRoo

Pat

PS Do you recognise any-one below?

Both Jackie & your man would have rejoined at Sarpi before returning on 25/11.

post-5-1099792019.jpg

Hi Pat,

Of the 3 men I listed - E.J. Lucas was my grandad, E.T. Butterworth was his best mate, and A.J. Stephenson came from the same town. Unfortunately I don't know what Arthur Stephenson looked like - so couldn't pick him from your photo. Great photo though - I've never seen it before.

As to my interest in the 7th Battalion - it goes a little wider than above. I'm researching all the soldiers from my grandad's home town and many of the other small towns in that area (NW of Bendigo, Vic). So far I have over 60 of them that were in the 7th at some time during WW1. Your man's not among them - where does he hail from?

Cheers, Frev.

Frev.

Rutherglen. & yours? Say Tarnagulla & I'll freak.

Pat

PS Before we start comparing notes, I have come to expect the un-expected.

Jackie was dad's cousin, was wounded at Lone Pine where Tubb won his VC, and both were killed at the Battle of The Menin Rd on 21/09/17.

Pat

Don't freak just yet - Tarnagulla is on my to-do list - but I'm trying to concentrate at the moment on Bridgewater & Inglewood, though I do have a lot of the Newbridge soldiers covered already (many of whom were born at Tarnagulla).

Frev

• 5 years later...

Hi,

Im looking for info regarding Burials at sea. Im researching an officer that was wounded on the 15/8/15 at Kidney Hill, Gallipoli. He died on the 16/8/15. I believe he was being transferred to Malta and died on the way. He was buried at sea and he is remembered on the Helles Memorial. Was it normal to be evacuated that quickly? Considering he was wounded on 15th and died on 16th and in that time he was put on a hospital ship and out at sea?

James

Hi,

Im looking for info regarding Burials at sea. Im researching an officer that was wounded on the 15/8/15 at Kidney Hill, Gallipoli. He died on the 16/8/15. I believe he was being transferred to Malta and died on the way. He was buried at sea and he is remembered on the Helles Memorial. Was it normal to be evacuated that quickly? Considering he was wounded on 15th and died on 16th and in that time he was put on a hospital ship and out at sea?

James

This is more of a rather tentative suggestion than an authoratitive answer, James...perhaps the configuration of the Gallipoli battlefields, with their compressed beaches and coves, made the establishment of the casualty chain we associate with France and Flanders impossible. The enemy was too close to allow for that. The arena of Suvla bay was more expansive than that of ANZAC Cove, or Helles, but the stark reality of Gallipoli did not afford the chance to develop the stage by stage evacuation of the wounded that had been established on the Western Front: if a man was wounded and recovered from the field, it entailed embarkation very quickly, for the simple reason that the front line was so close to the sea.

Phil

The short time from being wounded to being on a hospital ship is not surprising for the reasons amply explained in the previous postings. What does strike as unusual is that the ship was already on its way to Malta the day after. Either there was a spate of casualties that filled the ship up very quickly or he just happened to be wounded just before the ship had its quota filled and was due to leave.

The dates are right for the wounded of 163 Brigades attack of the 12/8/15 to have made it to a hospital ship, so there was already quite a few wounded available.

G

• 2 years later...

I am trying to collect as much info as possible regarding my Great Grandad -- Alfred William Goddard 8581 2nd Hampshire Regiment possibly in Y company. I am not likely to find his service record or photos of him or the Hampshires at that time.

Alfred suffered a shrapnel wound to his left humerus on the 6th May 1915 and discharged due to sickness in 1918. There doesn’t seem to be any records for him between these dates.

Is there anyway to find out what might have happened to him afterwards, where he would have been taken to, what ships he would have been on and how he got back to England ?

Thanks in advance

Edit the date for being wounded 6th May 1915

If he was injured on the 6th of June (this date suggests Third Battle of Krithia) he had only been out there for 6 weeks. His MIC states he first went to the Balkans on 25th April 1915.

The MIC also details his Silver War Badge (SWB List C/671/1) but I can't locate a record on Ancestry. The record will give you his enlistment date and discharge date.

None of this answers your original question, sorry. Research into Gallipoli will help in making educated guesses but without his records or his personal diary I don't think you'll ever know the exact truth.

Sandie

From LLT:

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Mhow, India. Returned to England, arriving at Plymouth 22 December 1914. Moved to Romsey and on 13 February 1915 to Stratford-upon-Avon.

13 February 1915 : came under orders of 88th Brigade in 29th Division. Moved to Warwick.

Sailed from Avonmouth on 29 March 1915 for Gallipoli, going via Egypt. Landed at Cape Helles on 25 April 1915.

January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt.

20 March 1916 : landed at Marseilles for service in France.

Thank you Sandie for the information, the links made interesting reading but I couldn’t workout if anything linked to Alfred. I think you are right this part could be made from educated guess work I just need to find the right info or interpret it correctly.... I have information and dates before he was wounded but finding it harder to link anything after that date.

The Royal Hampshire museum couldn’t find any mention of him after 6th June in the journals only his discharge date in 1918.

• 10 months later...

Update from previous post I believe he was wounded on the 6th of May.

I am interested to find out what would have happened to Alfred once he was wounded. Could anyone provide the info or point me in the right direction ?

How were they treated and by who from battle field to home ?

Which hospital ship could he have been on or would he have been transported to a land based hospital in the area ?

I have put together his life leading upto this point but missing 1915 - 1918. There are no records for him again until dischargded in 1918, he has been witness to all his siblings weddings but not during in 1916. Having no family in Southampton he some how ended up there and later married in 1920's as a Army pensioner a few years later he becomes a builders labour. So to a certain degree must have recoverd from his wounds ??

Any ideas what sort of pension /payment they would have had after discharge ? (2nd Hampshire from 1910 - 1918)

Thanks

Ben