Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commemorative stamps

roughdiamond

Reading the thread on the paving stones, someone mentioned an issue of stamps for VC winners, but that'd be impractical, it did make me think however. I believe each special issue of stamps can consist of varying numbers so how about a stamp with an image of each of these bravery awards Army VC, Naval VC, DSO, DSC, DCM, DSM, MC, MM, DFC and DFM with some info on each specific to WW1 e.g.

Victoria Cross,

Level 1 bravery award to all ranks,

628 awarded,

1 man awarded it twice

Those issued to Naval personnel had a blue ribbon till 1918.

Military Medal

Level 3 bravery award to non-Officers

? awarded

1 man awarded 4 times

Sam

N.B. amended to include Naval VC and DFM

What a brilliant idea! Looking at the logistics though, can there be enough stamps of varying values in a special issue to enable each bravery award to be commemorated, and how much information could fit on a small stamp?

Anne

Anne

There don't need to be varying values or a limit on the number per issue, take for example this one http://shop.royalmail.com/football-heroes-stamps/football-heroes-stamp-set/invt/sku20130100 for "football heroes" it has eleven different stamps, all marked as "1st class" so it is doable.

The info maybe too much for the stamp, but as you can see by the example included, info for each stamp is given with the set.

One medal I omitted was the DFM, the OR's equivalent of the DFC, that would take it up to 9, there could be the option to have a separate stamp for the Naval VC to highlight the different ribbon colour making a set of 10, I've amended my initial post to reflect this.

Sam

Good point Sam - I wasn't aware there could be a number of different stamps of the same value, and I can see how quite a lot of information can be given with a set. As I have already said, a brilliant idea!

Anne

Excluding the point that any profit ,generated from their sale,would go to the Royal Mail,but could be "worked around".

To be encompassing such a set should be issued,in my opinion as a non stamp collector, Commonwealth-wide i.e.printed and issued by the Australian,British,Canadian, "Indian",New Zealand,South African,etc Postal Authorities

Personally,if such a set was planned,I would also invite the Irish Postal Authority to participate.

It may,however,be more representative to merely issue three stamps bearing a 1914(1914/15) Star,War and Victory Medal depiction.

George

Excluding the point that any profit ,generated from their sale,would go to the Royal Mail,but could be "worked around".

To be encompassing such a set should be issued,in my opinion as a non stamp collector, Commonwealth-wide i.e.printed and issued by the Australian,British,Canadian, "Indian",New Zealand,South African,etc Postal Authorities

Personally,if such a set was planned,I would also invite the Irish Postal Authoritiy to participate.

It may,however,be more representative to merely issue three stamps bearing a 1914(1914/15) Star,War and Victory Medal depiction.

George

Will you please clarify the bold (mine) statement made in your post as I do not understand it, by the way I believe that the correct description is "India" not Indian.

Norman

Personally,if such a set was planned,I would also invite the Irish Postal Authoritiy to participate.

George

I think the idea of the stamps would need to be put forward first, I agree that a Commonwealth wide issue would be fitting, but that is the choice of those countries.

My reasoning for only including bravery medals rather than service medals was deliberate, bravery medals were awarded from the outset of the War, service medals were issued near and at the wars end, and as a development of my initial idea, I felt the service medals would be more fitting for a stamp issue in November 2018. I would suggest 6 stamps not 3 for that issue, 1914 Star with Clasp (an explanation of the significance of the Clasp would be included), 1914-15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal, Territorial Force War Medal and the Mercantile Marine War Medal, the latter 2 are often overlooked, but they were official campaign medals and should have a higher profile IMHO.

I am well aware that the MM was not instituted till 1916, however it was awarded retrospectively to the outbreak of the War, with the 2 x RAF medals which were not instituted till 1918, I have included them as it would in my opinion be a great disservice to exclude them.

Sam

George

Will you please clarify the bold (mine) statement made in your post as I do not understand it, by the way I believe that the correct description is "India" not Indian.

Norman

Norman,

Any profit generated by the Royal Mail by sale of the suggested stamps should be donated to a Service Charity e.g. the RBL

"Indian sub-Continent" i.e. Bangladesh,India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka.

George

Commemorative envelopes and post marks could be used. You could have a medal stamp, a commemorative envelope for the holder (with plenty of room for information) and collectors could acquire post marks for place of birth, where lived etc etc. That way several envelopes and stamps would be required for a complete set for one man (collectors love that sort of thing). Moreover overseas locations could join in so that you could get the envelope sent back to you from one of them with an additional post mark (as is sometimes done with first day covers)

If "we" went down the Campaign Medal Stamp,Envelope route there would be an opportunity for other Allied Nations to join in,suitably personalized e.g Belgium,France,USA,etc.

How this idea would sit with our German/Turkish friends I am unsure,however?

George

Norman,

Any profit generated by the Royal Mail by sale of the suggested stamps should be donated to a Service Charity e.g. the RBL

"Indian sub-Continent" i.e. Bangladesh,India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka.

George

Are you serious?, so let me try to understand, the Royal Mail do all this for nothing!. why when no other special issue is treated in this way.

Norman

I am afraid that I do not “agree to differ” purely because I cannot see any logic in your suggestion regarding the financial aspect of the proposed WW1 stamp issue, I ask again just what differentiates this proposed issue from all of the rest including that of the recent Atlantic and Arctic Convoys, should any “profit” from this sale also be given to charity and if so what one?.

Norman

Norman,

Any Government sponsored "mark of past service",given,however late, e.g. the Badge awarded to the Women's Land Army carries no financial profit.

The Royal Mail seeks to make a profit in part through the sale of special issue stamps.

I am merely suggesting,therefore,that if the Royal Mail chooses to issue a special set of stamps to mark the Centenary it gives any profit it makes by this one issue to a Service related Charity which of course,could be a Post Office Charity which looks after former employees who previously served in the military.

George