Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn South Staffs - Italy

mikebabes15

Hi,

I am trying to find out as much as I can regarding 9th Bn Sth Staffs and their time in Italy 1917-1918.

When and how they arrived, where they were during these dates, battles they would have been involved with etc.

My great grand uncle was wounded Oct/Nov 1918 and returned to the UK where he died in March 1919 as a result of his wounds. His service records didn't survive so I have little to go on apart from his medal card and death certificate. He is buried in Harefields cemetery Leeds.

Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mike.

9th South Staffs were the Pioneer battalion of 23rd Division and went to Italy in November 1917. http://www.1914-1918.net/23div.htm'> Long Long Trail gives a brief overview of what the division was doing in Italy. The divisional history is available from Naval and Military press, I have a copy if there is anything in particular you would like me to check. There was a recent thread on the forum about pioneer battalions which would give you some idea of the day to day activities af the battalion.

Edit: I tried to link to the LLT page but I am doing something wrong, the link to the site is top left on this page and then go to British Army divisions. Apologies if you know this.

Edited by Charpoi Warrior

Thanks, just viewed the pages. I think the areas of interest I need to look further into is the battle of Vittorio Vento and the passage of the Piave. If there are any relevant mentions in the divisional history book about the 9th Bn would be interested to hear them. Other than that I will google it. Thanks.

I'll have a look tonight, there could be anything from nothing at all to a detailed description of their actions depending on how much was happening in the division.

Hi

May I suggest you obtain a copy of

'The History of the South Staffordshire Regiment' by Colonel W.L. Vale

by requesting it through your local library.

The War Diary is not yet available

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7357314

but is viewable at the SSR Museum at Lichfield.

Curiously, although I have researched a number of men from the 9th in Italy, all died of pneumonia.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, my great grand uncle received a gunshot wound to his knee, this was stated on his death certificate. He died back in the UK from infection and pneumonia. It's been very difficult to find anything else out about his service as his records didn't survive. It's a mystery to me how he ended up in the Sth Staffs regiment as he was from Leeds. His civilian trade was a bricklayer/builder so being in a pioneer battalion would be about right. His brother my great grandfather was in the Royal Engineers and survived the war.

The book you mentioned sounds very interesting, I will have to try and get a copy through the local library.

Regards

Mike.

Mike

Nothing unusual about being in the SSR. My grandfather was born in Widnes, enlisted in the South Lancs and was killed serving in the Worcesters.

"Needs must"

Good luck with the book,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi

May I suggest you obtain a copy of

'The History of the South Staffordshire Regiment' by Colonel W.L. Vale

by requesting it through your local library.

The War Diary is not yet available

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7357314

but is viewable at the SSR Museum at Lichfield.

Curiously, although I have researched a number of men from the 9th in Italy, all died of pneumonia.

Regards,

Graeme

Not influenza? There were two outbreaks in Italy during 1918 and a significant number of deaths in the second outbreak around autumn

Graeme, thanks for the link to the book, it looks interesting especially the reference to the tunneling work and the bridges built over the Piave and Livenza. Wouldn't it be good if one or both were still standing!

A few passing mentions in the 23rd Division history, nothing with any detail.

Ok thanks for checking.

• 7 months later...

sorry, only just spotted this. If it's any help, there is an excellent book by Norman Gladden "across the Piave" which, although not specifically 9th Batt, does show what they all went through in this forgotten theatre of the war. As a matter of interest, my maternal g.grandfather was a Lt in the 9th Batt and was awarded the MC and was mentioned in dispatches for his work in Italy. He survived the war but unfortunately, died before I was born.

regards

Martyn