Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Destroyer recovering a downed aircraft

Sepoy

I don't want to interfere with the flow here between H2 and Pete

however I would like to note that Pete's

There seems to be no evidence of damage by enemy action in the photo of the machine being hoisted aboard Grafton so I would guess that the cause was an engine failure

seems to be correct.

As I mentioned earlier the Turks claim only one Allied aircraft downed at this time and that was in the wrong area (Helles). I had a look at Flight International's archive today and they support Nikolajsen's view, with the report from Constantinople only mentioning this one 'success' at this time.

So mechanical failure is a very good bet!

regards

Michael

Horatio, your mention of the wreck being burnt ashore rang a bell. After checking another CCI journal from 2007, Short No 10 was indeed disposed of by burning on Imbros on January 8th 1916. This information from the album of F5533 William 'Bill' Pollard RNAS.

As you point out this machine was converted from floatplane to landplane configuration. This happened in early 1913 - the second time it had in fact gone through this metamorphosis! The 140HP Gnome engine was replaced by a water cooled 9 cylinder Salmson Canton-Unne radial.

When first replying to this post I must admit I was guilty of believing that this machine must be a seaplane. It just goes to show doesn't it - NEVER take anything at face value!

So yes, the photo does indeed show the machine in landplane configuration when being recovered. S41, No10, could truly be referred to as an 'ancient mariner'.

This is the Forum at its very best and would like to thank everyone for their involvement.

I had been trying to work out these photographs for years, using what I thought were reasonably comprehensive records. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the WW1 Naval and Aerial Campaigns is not as good as I would like, and I am so grateful that there are people here who are willing to assist.

I am looking forward to see if any additional information materialises.

Sepoy

You may well be right on the Chelmer ID, but Colne had a second airplane incident on 2 Nov 1918 that could match this. I see talk above of Grafton, though I missed how she came to be involved in this scenario

http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-10-HMS_Colne2.htm

Other: Seaplane came down disabled. Took in 1 pilot and observer

Place: Visited: Fired 9 rounds from std 12x8 gun to sink disabled areoplane

Other: Second seaplane came down disabled. Took pilot and observer on board.

Other: Fired 1 shell from port 12x8 gun to destroy seaplane

The photograph was taken by Sub Lieutenant/Paymaster Philip Chase RNR, who served on board HMS Grafton as the Captain's Secretary.

Unlike the seaplanes this machine was, it would seem, not equipped with hoisting strops above the top wing. I can only assume that this aircraft was in use for spotting as a result of a shortage of other seaplanes at the time - the use of landplanes for such duties always a risk if a forced landing became a necessity.

Grafton is involved since the photograph was taken by someone on board that ship at the time of the recovery

The difference between this aeroplane and the one which ditched earlier seems to be that

one was a seaplane and the other a landplane (albeit one previously converted from a seaplane)

I hope that this helps

Michael

Quote from Pete in post No.49 - According to his diary, Lt Aylmer Bettington flew this machine at Imbros on December 16th 1915 but gives no indication that he was the pilot when the ditching took place.

If it was Bettington who came down in the sea here, then he does not seem to have come to too much harm, for there is a report in Flight (reprinted from the Evening News) that Bettington had some success a month later:

“Flight-Lieutenant Bettington on the same afternoon (16th January 1916) shot down a German seaplane which was seen afterwards drifting helpless down the straits below Chanak”

see Flight 17 February 1916, page 145, RNAS Work at the Dardanelles

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1916/1916%20-%200145.html?search=Bettington

I'd like to think there is still more information to be discovered from this post - but perhaps via a different section. Sepoy, how about putting the details

on the Gallipoli or War in the Air forums - what do you think?