Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Garrick Eite RASC dies Salonika 9 May 1917, SS/21910

beardo88

Hi, I am trying to research a distant relative that died in Salonika, I can see around this time was the First Battle of Doiran and I assume he was killed then. In civvy life he was a butcher, so assume he carried this profession on in the RASC. It shows when he died as being a part of the 28th Liones of Communication Coy, however I am struggling to see what this Coy did? He was a Lance Corporal when killed.

Was hoping some kind person may be able to shed some light on what was happeniong around the time he died (am I right about the Doiran connection), what was a Lines of Communocation Coy (thought if related to comm's would be an RE department), and any other thoughts people may have about this soldier.

Thansk in advance,

Cheers

Tony

Tony

Firstly he'd have been ASC, the Royal wasn't added till 1918, "Lines of Communication" were base/supply areas where work like butchery, stores etc would be carried out I believe. Many of the deaths in Salonika were actually from disease, malaria being prevelent.

Soldiers Died Great War SDGW may give cause of death.

Sam

It shows when he died as being a part of the 28th Liones of Communication Coy, however I am struggling to see what this Coy did?

“28th Lines of Communication Coy” - This is a strange designation.

I wonder if it possibly refers to the 28th ASC Labour Company who were in Salonika at this time?

This man's age at the time of his death was 48, so he might have fitted an ASC Labour Company profile

It was probably not until after his death that the 28th ASC Labour Company became part of the Labour Corps as their Company No. 733