Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC excluded by technicality

centurion

I tend to agree Chris, it amazes me that some people think a Union Flag doormat is a sign of their patriotism yet they wipe their feet on it! Personally I think the brainwave someone had for the paving stones came from plagiarizing the Stars on the Hollywood walk of fame.

The more I think of the idea, the more reasons I find for disliking it in principle for a few reasons.

To single out only those awarded the VC seems to me to belittle those who were awarded "lesser" medals, take for example Cpl Ernest Albert Corey AIF awarded the MM on 4 occasions?

it also excludes those awarded the VC pre and post WW1, are they not entitled to equal treatment? especially those pre-war, should we commemorate the award of the Bar to Arthur Martin-Leake's VC with a Paving stone, but let the award of his VC in 1902 go un-commemorated?

Should we skip the 10 men who were awarded the VC post WW1 and only have paving stones for those awarded it in WW2 when it comes to 2039?

There's a reason why most gravestones are vertical, statues stand on plinths, commemorative plaques are mounted on walls, no one wants to trample on those they seek to commemorate.

Personally I think not enough thought has gone into this.

IMHO

You are absolutely right thinking more about it. We need to have a lot more thought and discussion put into this and fairly quickly. I can understand why VC winners have been singled out, all participants in the war and indeed all wars, have shown tremendous courage and commitment to the cause. I also like the idea somebody else mooted of plaques being put in one place with an additional copy being available for the 'home' town. If we are going to do this then we should do it properly.

Sam