Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC excluded by technicality

centurion

A daft loophole or stupid technicality, yes, but not BBB.

It does seem rather an odd decision making process - if asked I wonder if he would call himself a leicester man or a Canadian? Maybe he will get a plaque somewhere in Canada that none in the family can visit.

To expand slightly, will Canadian and Australian recipients of the VC who were born and grew up in the UK get a paving stone? 34 WW1 "Canadian" recipients of the VC were born in the UK, technically the stones should be placed where they were born, is this taken into account?

Is the Eire government participating or will men born in what is now Eire be excluded?

Also Pte Robert Edward Cruikshank VC London Scottish Regt was born and spent his first 3 years in Canada before "emigrating" to the UK, will he be excluded for the same reasons at Lt Col Bent?

Sam

Much going round about this at the moment - see Daily Telegraph. I think that they should all have one in place of birth, UK or abroad, but they should also be for sale at cost for any other places that claim them. As a school we would buy for our VC winners, and I am sure councils, churches, workplaces and others would jump at the chance.

Chris

What complete load of b******* (fill in the gaps) but sadly indicative of the level of "commemoration" we can look forward (?) to in 2014.

Norman :devilgrin:

The article does say the that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office "is in consultation with other Commonwealth Countries" on how VC recipients, from those Countries,should be remembered.

I accept,of course,the apparent "big hole" is WW1 VC recipients from non-Commonwealth Countries e.g. Eire.

George

More technicalities utter Eyewash, they wore the khaki, do the decent thing Mr Pickles.

More technicalities utter Eyewash, they wore the khaki, do the decent thing Mr Pickles.

Yes tell Mabel to give them the money (for the slabs of course)

If, as I suggest, copies are put up for sale how many would members buy? And collectors - let alone councils and organisations!

They are missing an idea hear?.

But on another note is anyone going to submit their design to the competition?

Chris

Whilst it's admirable that Ashby-de-la-Zouch wants to claim Bent as one of its own, it's rather tenuous to claim it was his home town isn't it? How long did he spend in Edinburgh before going to Ashby Grammar School? Where did he spend his holidays? What about his time in the Conway on the Mersey?

Perhaps there should be a place set aside in London for the paving stones of those VCs who clearly don't have an established home town in this country but nevertheless had a strong connection to it before fighting for it in the war?

Simon

You can please some of the people all of the time................................... it is a no win situation.

H.

Whilst it's admirable that Ashby-de-la-Zouch wants to claim Bent as one of its own, it's rather tenuous to claim it was his home town isn't it?

If he was born in Canada he was a Canadian. If born in GB, he is British and so would get a paving stone at his place of birth. Simples !!!

My driveway needs re-laying if that's any help.

My driveway needs re-laying if that's any help.

The whole 2 miles or just part of it?

:P

Offer them to everyone interested - except individuals who want their drives paved!

Why is there always so much argument on such issues? Pickles should provide them at places of birth and then sell them at cost to all other legitimate places of interest.

Chris

All recipients of the VC should be remembered, wherever they were born. For those who were born in one of the existing Commonwealth countries (ex Empire) or others who were born in other countries, but who spent a good part or most of their lives in the UK, why not simply have two, one for that country to commemorate them with and one for the 'home' town that they lived in in the UK. I don't think the relative cost of this should come into account as most of these VC's gave their lives for the cause, at the time or later. As a country we give so much money to other causes we could all argue about but this is a most important anniversary, and the cost of this in modern terms is not a lot.

I for one, as a very minor side issue, thoroughly enjoyed seeing the post boxes being painted gold.

How would some of the other countries see them? I really don't know but at a guess I think Canadian towns may be thrilled, but Sri Lankan villages? It would be interesting to get the thoughts of those living outside the UK who have VC winners.

Chris

Chris,

Ceylon(Sri Lanka) Villages,etc i.e Southern Rhodesia should receive their WW1 "earned" paving stones.

The modern politics of those Countries and their historic attitude to the Crown may be and should remain now separate.

But a Sri Lanka'n Village to now receive a paving stone,from the Queen,in honour of it's WW1 hero?

George

p.s once installed in Ceylon/Southern Rhodesia,the stones should be used i.e.walked on,pee'd on,defended,etc i.e.no different to modern UK on a weekend

The whole paving stone thing continues to worry me! The competition should have been for a way and place to remember them, not a design for people to walk over and do all the other things mentioned above!

Chris

The whole paving stone thing continues to worry me! The competition should have been for a way and place to remember them, not a design for people to walk over and do all the other things mentioned above!

Chris

I tend to agree Chris, it amazes me that some people think a Union Flag doormat is a sign of their patriotism yet they wipe their feet on it! Personally I think the brainwave someone had for the paving stones came from plagiarizing the Stars on the Hollywood walk of fame.

The more I think of the idea, the more reasons I find for disliking it in principle for a few reasons.

To single out only those awarded the VC seems to me to belittle those who were awarded "lesser" medals, take for example Cpl Ernest Albert Corey AIF awarded the MM on 4 occasions?

it also excludes those awarded the VC pre and post WW1, are they not entitled to equal treatment? especially those pre-war, should we commemorate the award of the Bar to Arthur Martin-Leake's VC with a Paving stone, but let the award of his VC in 1902 go un-commemorated?

Should we skip the 10 men who were awarded the VC post WW1 and only have paving stones for those awarded it in WW2 when it comes to 2039?

There's a reason why most gravestones are vertical, statues stand on plinths, commemorative plaques are mounted on walls, no one wants to trample on those they seek to commemorate.

Personally I think not enough thought has gone into this.

IMHO

Sam