Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Allen (or Allan) Everitt (or Everett) Renwick MC, Tank Corps

Sidearm

Hi

I'm interested in learning more about this officer, not least the correct spelling of his name. He was born around 1898, the son of Councillor and Mrs W.H. Renwick of Cardiff. He originally enlisted with the London Scottish in April 1915 but was granted a commission in the Heavy Section Machine Gun Corps. He served with 16 Coy F Battalion Tank Corps and won the MC when his tank "Firespite" became ditched with most of the crew wounded on 31 July 1917. I also know that he was subsequently severely wounded by a gunshot to the right thigh and was admitted to hospital on 29 November 1917.

I have also found the death of his father in June 1925 with probate granted to A.E. Renwick and a brother, who are described as coal exporters. So far so good.

Then a Google search gives me a Flight Lieutenant Allan Everett Renwick MC promoted to (temporary) Squadron Leader (London Gazette 20 September 1940), if I read it correctly in the Balloon Branch of the RAF. Next I find a Wing Commander Allan Everett Renwick MC of Sant-y-Nyll, St Brides Super Ely (which is just outside Cardiff) commissioned as a Deputy Lieutenant of the County of Glamorgan on 28 June 1949.

Surely this is the same person, but does anyone know for sure, please?

Thanks for any help.

Gwyn

In the 1911 census he is at boarding school. He listed as Allan Everett Renwick.

His birth was registered in Cardiff, January 1898 as Allan Everett Renwick.

His death took place on 10th May 1954 at The Welsh National Museum, Cardiff. His address was Sant-y-Nyll, St Brides Super Ely. His widow was Edith Marjorie Renwick. He married Edith M Cory in Cardiff in October 1921. They had a son, Allan Forster Renwick in 1923.

His MIC states he was a Private in the London Regiment before becoming a Lieutenant in the Tank Corps.

He applied for his medals in June 1925, giving his address as Portfield House, Cardiff.

In April 1929 he went tp Puerto Limon from Southampton, giving his address as 'St - Y - Nyll' St Brides Super Ely and his profession as Coal Exporter.

He returned in June the same year but gave his profession as Ship Owner.

Honour the Officers – WW1 Awards – page 624

RENWICK Allen Everitt T/2Lt M.C. Tank Corps DSER LG 28.9.1917 Page 9978

The Tank Corps Honours and Awards – Page 25

T/2nd Lieut. RENWICK Allan Everett. F. Batt. Awarded M.C. includes citation for M.C. When his tank became ditched on 31 July 1917.

Both the same man.

Quite a few tank officers joined the RAF either at the end of the Great War or between the wars.

One more question: has anyone a list of F Battalion Tank Corps casualties at the Battle of Cambrai, and is T2/Lt Renwick listed please? If so, any other details from this list much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Gwyn

• 4 weeks later...

He was serving with 16 Coy but tank not listed.

Looking at how the list of casualties is arranged, I would guess he was wounded on 20 November.

But I could well be wrong...................

• 3 months later...
Guest whrenwick

Hello. I hope this discussion is still active, I'm so glad to have come across it as I am a descendent of these Renwicks.

I am William Henry Renwick (the 2nd!), Allan Forster Renwick was my grandfather, our family is still in Cardiff.

This feed has shed light on so much for my father and I so thanks for sharing.

Is there a particular reason you are interested in Allan Renwick? Our knowledge of his involvement is quite unclear so we'd love any more info you might have.

I suppose I am direction this question to everyone in the discussion as you all seem to know more than I do!

Will

• 10 months later...

Will,

You posted this in January and now it's November, yet I've only just spotted it! I hope you're still looking at this forum ...

My interest in Allan Everett Renwick arose after I stumbled across his name when researching at Cardiff library, and found he had commanded one of the so-called Tank Banks raising money for the war effort through the sale of war bonds when it toured South Wales. This was after he had recuperated from his wound at Cambrai. I suspect that the officer with the stick in the photo attached to this post is Allan Renwick. A little research later led me to his role with the National Museum of Wales at St Fagans after WW2 (and where he died), and the fact he married in Penarth. Both are places I know well.

Usually, my interest is in the tanks rather than the men, but in this instance I began to look a bit wider. I have tried to find out if he has any personal papers relating to his service in the Tank Corps at the National Museum, but haven't been able to get an answer from the librarian there.

I would be interested in contacting you, if possible?

Many thanks, and apologies for my inattentiveness.

Gwyn

post-20823-0-14328700-1417118547_thumb.j