Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Frank Douglas Sowerby - Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur

temptage

This soldier is a local for me, and I was hoping someone may be able to help me find out why, when, where, how and any other suitable one-word question as to why he was awarded the French 'Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur". Not just the plain old boring Légion d'honneur ........ oh no.....he was a Knight of the Legion of Honour.

What could he have done that merited that award when he was not given any Commonwealth awards?

The mind boggles.

Tony

Any further details - regiment, for example?

Any further details - regiment, for example?

He was commissioned into the 4th Hussars(S.R.), but was attached to the 18th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers when he died from wounds on 1/8/16.

2/Lt F.D.Sowerby joined the 4th Hussars in France circa 15th -18th February,1915. It appears that he was awarded the Legion d'Honneur and was also MID whilst serving with the 4th Hussars, I cannot find any mention in the text of the 4th Hussars history regarding this, other than in the lists of H & A.

There is no mention of him in the L.F.'s history but there is an obituary in the L.F.'s Annual for 1916. page 272. This is quite informative in confirming the award and also his MID, unfortunately it does not elaborate however on the reasons for either of these awards.

I am certain that there will be a record of the events which led to these awards somewhere--possibly a mention in the war diary? As far as I am aware the Croix de Chevalier is the correct grade for the award of the Legion d'Honneur although there were higher grades of the award: Grand Officier; Croix de Commandeur and Croix D'officier.

Hope this helps,

Robert

2/Lt F.D.Sowerby joined the 4th Hussars in France circa 15th -18th February,1915. It appears that he was awarded the Legion d'Honneur and was also MID whilst serving with the 4th Hussars, I cannot find any mention in the text of the 4th Hussars history regarding this, other than in the lists of H & A.

Robert

You beat me to it! I have just been looking through it and found the same answers ...

2nd Lt Frank Douglas Sowerby joined the Inns of Court OTC Squadron on 6 Aug 14 and was commissioned into the 4th Hussars on 15 Aug 14. Served in France and Flanders attached to the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Source: Inns of Court OTC during the Great War