Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Richard Taelman

Sniper Snoop

Hi

Im looking for information about the Belgian soldier Private Richard Taelman. He was born on April 14, 1885 at Kruishoutem and died on November 6, 1917 when he did service for the 28th Battalion Canadian Infantry. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial. Any further information about him?

Greatz, Rino

Mine is 14 and drawing it's OAP already,so yours must be ancient !! The gas man has just been and emptied the coin box.

Thanks. So he was also father of a child? And any idea whats happen with him? I think missed during battle of Passchendaele, but what happen?

Rino

The War Diary for 28th Battalion CEF is also on collectionscanada but there seems to be a restriction at the moment. Once in you can read of the events of the days leading up to and including the 6 November 1917.

They are there,a whole list of them but several,including the 28th,weren't accessible last night due to archive activity. I will see If I can put the link up for you,then you can try again now and then.

OK,go to the link I posted a few back.Click on English ( if you want) then Search Help,you will see the first item in the second batch of headings is Archived- War Diaries etc.

It's actually accessible today ! Just click on the above and enter 28th Battalion and Nov 1917.

You can find his attestation form on archivescanada.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef

A question and its not about the person. But more about the database. I like this database and my question is, is there also a database for Britain, Scotland, Australia, South-Africa, Germany and much more, were you can find information about soldiers?

As far as British servicemen are concerned:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchUI

You need to play with this database to get the way it runs.I use the extended search usually.

It is not the answer to everything because some of the records no longer exist.It's free to search but you pay before you can download any digital record or have non-digital ones copied and sent to you (if that is possible).

What soldier records exist are found on Ancestry UK but you need to pay to use the database:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/uk/military

Others here will perhaps add their methods and sources. It's a long and complicated story which I will not continue !

Yeah, thank you for the help! I like your help, so don't tell it to me. ;)

• 4 years later...