Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attack of the Zeppelins

pippin

Yes, definitely from 'Hells Angels'. I think that is a great movie scene as the evil 'pantomine' German commander orders his men overboard, and they salute him, before jumping to the deaths - for the Fatherland. I wonder if Hughes got his idea for that scene from the (unmanned) sub-cloud car jettisoned over Essex in 1916, and which hung suspended from the roof of the Imperial War Museum until the recent renovation work began. I do hope it will return.

Aspern: the trouble is that people who see the film believe that this sort of thing happened. The best bit is Jean Harlow "Wait while I slip into something more comfortable!"

So they've moved the cloud car? With the WW1 anniversary approaching, the IWM seem to be intent on removing everything WW1-related - the aeroplanes such as Culley's Camel, the "First shot" gun from HMS Lance.

Have learnt a lot - always assumed a Zeppelin was a Zeppelin - didn't know there were other 'brands' - you learn something new every day.

Ant - about 20 Schutte-Lanz airships were built. Robinson's victim was SL XI. They looked similar to a Zeppelin but were made of wood not Duralumin, so they didn't last long even without getting shot down. However they did introduce some innovations which Zeppelin pinched - the cruciform tail, the more streamlined shape.

So they've moved the cloud car? With the WW1 anniversary approaching, the IWM seem to be intent on removing everything WW1-related - the aeroplanes such as Culley's Camel, the "First shot" gun from HMS Lance.

Hi Adrian

The IWM have closed the main hall and stripped out everything while completly redesigning the space for the centenary. There's a video of the work on the IWM website. I am presuming - and hoping - that all the good stuff will go back when the work is finished. It could be amazing...

Milan - Great pic, if this was Facebook, I'd click on "Like", or put it in one of those "Massive Fail" compilations!

No prob, Adrian - btw, there's a much larger and cleaner photo (you can see the 'SL5' and the German cross) on this page with lots of other great (fail!) images scanned from the 1938 German book on Peter Strasser:

http://www.debooks4u.com/german-naval-zeppelin-book-peter-strasser-airship-ww1-raid-england-l12-l33-wwi-p-442.html?osCsid=5f97e082b29fbbbad43c390bc4954e4c

• 3 weeks later...