Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Shropshires

Hi

Does anyone know in which direction the entrance to Morteldje Est. was facing. I was looking at some pics of the building yesterday, taken from trenches close by, looking towards the entrance. I am guessing they were taken from British trenches some time between June and October-ish 1915, they show it over a period of time, with it looking more and more knocked about until it's a pile of rubble. But I do not know for sure that they are from British side, I would like to rule out that they were not taken from German trenches. So if anyone has any information on lay out of the building I would be greatful to know.

Thanks

Annette

Annette,

This photo (and some other photos I have, when the building is gradually reduced to ruins) shows the front side. And is it facing east. (Actually (east south east).)

The photographer is standing east (east south east) of the estaminet Het Moorteltje.

Aurel

post-92-0-54431800-1377283271_thumb.jpg

Hi Aurel

Many thanks. I think the one you post above is one of the ones I was looking at, The Shropshire Regimental Museum have poor photocopies.

Looking closer at earlier maps, I see the British trench runs north, east and around towards the south but ones dated 1916 have it in No Mans Land. The photo as to be June/July-ish ? (Aurel by any chance do you dates for these photos ?), so even with photographer standing east (east south east), then they are taken by British, again Aurel do you have any information on who took them ?

Cheers

Annette

Annette,

No, I don't have any info re the date. But I have always assumed they date from the summer or second half of 1915. (Certainly after April 22) And taken from a British position. On a trench map I see there is a British trench running very close to this side of the Estaminet. Photos probably taken from that trench.

I'm not sure, but could it be me who sent tou the other (4 ?) pics (lower quality). That must have been before Dec. 2006. (My PC crash.)

If you want me to (re)send them, let me know by PM what your e-mail address is.

Aurel

Cheers Aurel

Annette

• 5 years later...