Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Harry Parker East Yorkshire Regiment service number 416

Guest rob_farquhar

Guest rob_farquhar

Hi, this is my first post I recent the recieved a book "Sir Douglas Haig's Great Push the Battle of the Somme", it is an original print and the first owner made notes.

The first owner was Private Harry Parker East Yorkshire Regiment service number 416

He states each area he served during the war, and he clearly survived the war.

I have tried to reasearch the man but havent found much, I have found his medal record, but there wasnt much detail.

If any one can help i would be very grateful

Rob

Returned to France in March 1916,in time to fight on the Somme from July 1 1916 with 31 Divsion.

Guest rob_farquhar

Thanks for the quick response to my post from you both, hopefully this information will help me find more information

regards

rob

Harry Parker's medal index card gives his service number as 10/416, and the fact that the first theatre of war entered was 'Egypt on 22.12.1915'.

He was discharged with a silver war badge and the roll entry reads as follows:-

10/416 Pte Harry Parker East Yorkshire Regt. badge number 418795 enlisted 3.9.1914 discharged 5.7.1918 cause of discharge B1 age 24 years

whether served overseas - yes.

Note: In the Cause of Discharge column heading "(Wounds or Sickness and para of K.R.)" is struck out.

So his age at discharge would indicate that he was born in 1894.

Perhaps a forum member would please enlighten us on the meaning of cause of discharge B1. I believe it relates to an Army Order.

May also be a fitness category.A1 top and B1 would be enough to remove him from the fighting front. It is not a paragraph of King's Regulation 392 used on discharge to wounds,sickness or inefficiency.

Hi,

At the end of the War he lived at 33 Mayfield Street Spring Bank Hull.

He was reported wounded in June 1917 which could suggest the Battle of Oppy Wood.

Regards Charles