Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

81 Princess Mary's Christmas Tins

Sepoy

Just a footnote to the above, Pte Duffy was awarded the 15 Star on his MIC.

I can't locate a MIC listed for Fitzgerald. There is one for a P FItzgerald 9790

I'm now thinking that the letters are made up

G

Interesting article in The Times today..

On this day: October 16, 1914

The following letter to the public, written by Princess Mary, was issued from Buckingham Palace last night: For many weeks we have all been greatly concerned for the welfare of the sailors and soldiers who are so gallantly fighting our battles by sea and land. Our first consideration has been to meet their more pressing needs, and I have delayed making known a wish that has long been in my heart for fear of encroaching on other funds the claims of which have been more urgent.

I want you all now to help me to send a Christmas present from the whole nation to every sailor afloat and every soldier at the front. On Christmas Eve, when, like the shepherds of old, they keep their watch, doubtless their thoughts will turn to home and to the loved ones left behind, and perhaps, too, they will recall the days when as children themselves they would hang out their stockings wondering what the morrow had in store.

I am sure that we should all be the happier to feel that we had helped to send our little token of love and sympathy on Christmas morning, something that would be useful and of permanent value, and the making of which may be the means of providing employment in trades adversely affected by the war. Could there be anything more likely to hearten them in their struggle than a present received straight from home on Christmas Day? Please, will you help me?

MARY.

It is hoped that a sum of £100,000 will be forthcoming. The gift will take the form of an embossed brass tobacco or cigarette-box, a pipe, and a tinder lighter. In the case of the Indian troops, sweets will be supplied instead of tobacco or cigarettes.

Her Majesty has already been promised the following subscriptions: HM The King £100 HM The Queen £50 HRH The Prince of Wales £50 HRH The Princess Mary £25 Lord & Lady Rothermere £1,000

All remittances should be addressed to Her Royal Highness the Princess Mary, Buckingham Palace, SW. Envelopes should be marked Sailors and Soldiers Christmas Fund.