Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On this Day

Tank

Hi Folks

Does anyone know where the various battalions listed below were on the dates listed.

1st Bn - Coldstream Guards 29th July 1915

2nd Bn - Coldstream Guards 1st November 1914

2nd/4th Bn - East Lancashire 12th November 1917

16th Bn - King's Royal Rifle Corps 15th July 1916

18th Bn - Lancashire Fusiliers 15th April 1917

1st/1st Bn - Leicestershire Yeomanry 13th May 1915

2nd/20th Bn - London 14th September 1916

5th Bn - Machine Gun Corps 28th June 1918

188th Co - Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 11th November 1917

29th Bn - Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 14th April 1918

2nd Bn - Manchester 3rd December 1918

8th Bn - North Staffordshire 27th July 1917

5th Bn - Northamptonshire 24th November 1917

12th Bn - Northumberland Fusiliers 6th September 1917

1st Bn - Northumberland Fusiliers 11th April 1918

5th Bn - Oxford and Bucks 15th May 1917

6th Bn - Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 29th July 1916

2nd Bn - Rifle Brigade 2nd August 1918

4th Bn - Royal Berkshire Regiment 24th April 1917

174th Tunnelling Co - Royal Engineers 6th March 1917

126th Siege Bty - Royal Garrison Artillery 15th October 1916

2nd RM Bn RN Div Royal Marine Light Infantry 7th January 1916

2nd Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers 31st December 1914

12th Bn - Royal Sussex 13th November 1916

3rd Bn - Royal Sussex 2nd Novemebr 1918

2nd Bn - Royal Welsh Fusiliers 25th September 1915

1st Bn - South Staffordshire 4th October 1917

4th Bn - South Staffordshire 26th April 1918

4th Bn - Worcestershire Reg 16th October 1916

Cheers

Tank

1st/4th Bn were at Hamel.

The Battalion stood to at 4.15am. ready to move at very short notice to assist the 144 BRIGADE in their attack on QUENNEMONT SPUR, GILLEMONT FARM and THE KNOLL. At 4pm. orders were received to send two Companies to the 144 BRIGADE: HQ and the remaining two Companies to stand down. "A" and "B" Companies under the command of MAJOR ALDWORTH left at 6.30p.m. (see Report) A 6. HQ and "C" and "D" Companies moved at midnight to the SLAG HEAP arriving at 2.30am. (25th) Weather:- a lovely day.

2nd/4th were at Bois de Holnom.

2nd Rifle Brigade were at Mont St. Eloi - Ottawa Camp

Diary -

31st July - 1st August: Coys under Coy commanders for training. Advance and rearguard actions. Silent patrols

3 other ranks joined for duty.

Battalion Camp shelled night July 31st - August 1st and on morning of 1st August.

4 killed

1 died of wounds

6 wounded

1 wounded at duty

1 horse killed

2nd August: Brigade Field Day. Cancelled at noon on account of rain.

3rd August: Coys under Coy commanders for training. Battalion moved up to Paddock Switch at night to test arrangements for reserve brigade.

Andy

Hello Tank

Just a thought - are you researching the service of men who died on these dates? If so, don't forget that they may have died of wounds, or even of disease or accident, at a field hospital and might not actually have been with their units on those dates, or even for some days or even weeks before.

Ron

Good Morning Tank,

1st/1st Bn - Leics. Yeomanry 13th May 1915

BELLEWARDE FARM. Position of Regiment at midnight 12th/13th May was 700 yards west of road joining ZONNEBEKE ROAD and YPRES – MENIN ROAD, extreme right resting on railway running north east from YPRES, and extending to the farm about 300 yards north, north west of railway.

The casualties of the action on the 13th May were as follows:- Killed, Lt. Col. The Hon. P. C. EVANS-FREKE, Major W. F. MARTIN. Major B. R. LIEBERT, Lt. C. PEAKE and 2nd Lt. T. E. BROOKS. Other ranks killed, 47. Wounded Major W. F. RICARDO, Captain C. M. MARTIN, Captain E. R. HANBURY, Captain G. R. CODRINGTON and Lt. T. W. BEST. Other ranks wounded, 90. There were 39 other ranks missing.

I'm sure I'll have your e mail, but if you can remind me, I'll let you have the full diary entry for the day.

Regards.

Llew.

Many thanks to all

Hello Tank

Just a thought - are you researching the service of men who died on these dates? If so, don't forget that they may have died of wounds, or even of disease or accident, at a field hospital and might not actually have been with their units on those dates, or even for some days or even weeks before.

Ron

Thanks Ron, the East Lancs chap was the only one I knew was DoW and I was after a back story for him but seeing Llew's reply makes me think I have a second as Lt Samuel Thomson isn't on the extract, having said that the SDGW has him down as simply 'killed' and Llew, even though he lived out your neck of the woods in Groby, his mother was an Ibstock lass and his grandfather the village doctor hence his inclusion on the village memorial.

At first I wondered what the anomaly was as most of my DoW's were with the Leicesters but then I realised I was having a DOH! moment, more men served with or started with the Leicesters round here than the other regiments put together.

Tank

I will look up the coldstream ones when I'm next on a computer and not tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tank,

Sorry I missed your initial post

12th Bn - Royal Sussex 13th November 1916: in support of Divisional attack that captured the village of St. Pierre Divion, River Ancre

3rd Bn - Royal Sussex 2nd November 1918: 3rd was the Regular Reserve Bn, that was in Newhaven at that time. Are you looking into an officer?

Sorry again for not replying sooner

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Bearing in mind Ron Clifton's point above the 5th Oxfords attacked the Hillside work on 3rd May, suffering heavy casualties. On the 4th they were relieved in Niger trench and moved back to the Harp, where they remained until the 10th. Then they moved to Cojeul Switch. The remainder of the month was spent in and out of the tranches, supplying large working parties. (Chronicle 196/17)

John

• Admin

2RWF were at Cambrin

At 5.50am moved up in support of 1st Middlesex Regiment. At 6.40am Middlesex attacked enemy's trenches and suffered severely. Two platoons of B and C Coys advanced to reinforce them and suffered heavy casualties - owing to this the advance was not proceeded with. 2 Bn RWF took over 1st and 2nd line trenches from 1st Middlesex.
Casualties:-
Killed Capt AG Samson, Capt JA Childe-Freeman and 34 NCOs and men.
Wounded Lt Col O deL Williams DSO Capt PB Welton Lt HM Blair 2nd Lt HEG Goldsmith and 71 NCOs and men.
Suffering from gas poisoning 2nd Lt PH Drake-Brockman 3rd Bn East Surrey REgiment (attached) and 4 NCOs and men
Missing 4 men

• 9 months later...

The 18Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers were at Fresnoy Lepetit on 15 April 1917 and attacked Lestrois Sauuages