Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Yorks Regiment - Help Tracing Relative

Guest keshling

Guest keshling

Hi, I've just discovered my great great uncle served in WWI and with the help of some better people than I I've found his pension and discharge paperwork on Ancestry. I've tried to find his MIC on the National Archive website but I just can't seem to get him no matter how many permutations of his name, regimental number, regiment and so on I input. What am I doing wrong? His name is John Wesley Collins of the 5th (Cyclists) Battalion, Rgtl No 205560. He was disembodied in 1919 , joined up in 1915.

Hope somebody can give me some pointers - thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, it appears that your GGU only saw service in the UK, the documents state that he saw service in 'England - patroling the coast'. No medals were issued to those that remained in the UK who saw no overseas service or no service in an operational theatre, so no medals, no MIC

He is listed with a different regimental number on the East Yorkshire Regiment website- 225282.

http://www.east-yorkshire-regiment.co.uk/_content/dbase/result.php?seq=19128

According to the Long Long Trail section on the East Yorks the 5th (Cyclist) Battalion served in the UK only, so he would not have a Medal Index Card as he did not serve overseas.

http://www.1914-1918.net/eastyorks.htm

Scott

Long Long Trail at top left of this page gives the following for 5 East Yorks Cyclists Battalion:

August 1914 at Park Street,Hull. Then to Louth (Lincs) and in May 1915 to Withernsea (East Yorkshire).Later moved to Newbiggin and became part of the Tyne Garrison.