Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Shropshire L.I., commemorated on the Menin Gate

2li

Hi

Just to let any members with an interest with the King's Shropshire L.I.,

and those who are commemorated on the Menin Gate Ypres

A book (reference) work has been published by Peter Duckers of the Shropshire Regimental museum which was put together by myself (Philip Smith) with the help of Mr Duckers,

It is an index of all those commemorated on the Menin Gate Ypres following the format laid out in order has found Officers and other ranks, much of the information is readily found i.e. CWWGC and soldiers died, but many of the soldiers have newspaper obituaries or casualty reports attached.

People with an interest with the Shropshire L.I., may find it a useful research tool, and those who collect medals to this unit likewise, this reference work is a trial run, and mistakes and corrections know doubt will be found,

All proceeds of this work go to the Shropshire Regimental museum.

and if you require a copy it can be purchased by contacting Peter Duckers.

Philip

post-38637-0-45844500-1376729638_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Can you purchase a copy at the museum shop at Shrewsbury castle?

Dave

Dave

yes mate Shrewsbury Museum £10 all proceeds to the museum

all the best PHIL

Superb, I will make a trip up there and get a copy

DAWLEYJOCKEY

Hope you like the book took a few years to put together and at cost to myself, and no return regards payment, all done in the name of the soldiers of the King's Shropshire L.I., who gave their lives in the Great War, and most important all proceeds to the museum, of course there are a lot of people who contributed material i.e. libraries archives and many individuals up and down the land, the cost came with photo copies and such, but the book was published by Peter Duckers and the Shropshire regimental museum, you might be interested to know that volume 2 will be out at some point commemorating the 525 names of the Shropshire's inscribed on the hiepval memorial, which I am happy to say is bigger and much more in the way of obituaries and other information, after that I don’t know if there will be another has so time consuming and much scrounging about for material but you never know

All the best PHIL

Phil

Always interested in info about the KSLI, After researching the names on the Dawley War memorial which of course has a large number of KSLI men on it.

In fact I may be able to help you with information regarding some of the Dawley lads (Jockeys) who are commemorated on Thiepval. Drop me a message if you wish and I will see what I have.

Dave

Cheers Dave

I have looked through the WJSN but found nothing at all on the following Dawley chaps only what is found on soldiers died and CWWGC, if you have anything else ie obituaries would be grateful

cheers again

PHIL

Lance/Corporal, Ernest Samuel Candlin, 10105, 1ST KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF MORVAL 25th September 1916 Age 32, born Horesay, Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Wellington, brother of Mr. H. Candlin,

Private, William Henry Dunning, 24432, 1ST KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF FLERS-COURCELETTE 18th September 1916 born Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Ironbridge,

Private, William Jackson, 200369, 1/4TH KSLI Killed-in-Action WELCH RIDGE 11th January 1918, Age 22, born Little Longnor, Dorrington, Shrewsbury, enlisted Ironbridge, Son of Mrs. Jackson, of 16, Sandy Bank, Dawley Parva,

Private, William Oakley, 200309, 1/4TH KSLI Killed-in-Action WELCH RIDGE 30th December 1917, Age 23, born Hinkshay, Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Dawley, resident 2, Ladies Row, Hinkshay,

Private, Francis Alfred Perry, 200275, 1/4TH KSLI Killed-in-Action WELCH RIDGE 30th December 1917 born Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Wellington, Shropshire; brother of Mrs. A. Plant, of 20, Horsehay Close, Horsehay, Dawley.

Private, Leonard Taylor, 15223, 6TH KSLI killed-in-Action GUILLEMONT 18th September 1916, Age 20, born Old Park, Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Wellington, Son of Mr. W. L. and Mrs. K. E. Taylor, of 59, Powis’s Fold, Dawley Bank,

Lance/Corporal, Daniel Baker, 17104, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF THE ANCRE 13th November 1916, born Dawley, Shropshire, enlisted Ellesmere Port, Cheshire,

I will have a look through my research and let you have what I have got, definitely have something on them all but what I'll have to see.

Dave

Dave

cheers

by the way did I send you the info on Gadd rings a bell

PHIL

Yes Phil, That was a while back.

Had a quick look through my stuff, a couple of interesting snippets, Can you forward your e-mail address by sending a message to me via the Forum.

I have transferred some info onto a doc that I can send you but it's too large to post on the GWF.

Dave

Hi Phil

I will be getting a copy of your book next time I am up at Shrewsbury :)

Dave I have not forgot about giving you all the info. I have on men from your area, I am going to copy it onto a disc or removed hard drive and you can just plug it into your computer and save the info. to your computer, mind you I have been side tracked a lot with work on my book, hopefully by the time of the next Staffs Pal visit to the Somme I will have it done, its a shame you do not have lotus Approach.

Annette

Phil

Ernest Candlin was serving in the 3rd Platoon "A" Company at the time of going missing. He was also wounded during the fighting at Armenteriers in October 1914. The C.W.G.C. gives his age as 32 but the Dawley News gives it as 29 ? maybe Dave can shed some light on this.

I have three other Candlin's from the Dawley-Wellington area, who may be related, they are

13356 Pte. Candlin, Arthur, (29 The Pottery, Dawley, Shrops.)
17948 Pte. Candlin, Alfred Edwin, (19 Buildwas Rd., Coalbrookdale, Shrops.)
44143 Pte. Candlin, James, (8 New Dale, Nr. Wellington, Shrops.)
Annette

Can not add any to William Henry, Dunning. I will be walking over the ground where he was killed when I visit the Somme again, I have already walked of the ground last year but I left my camera in the car this next time I will make sure I have my camera and will be taking photos of many of the areas where the men in your list above where killed so if you want any copies I will be happy to let you have them.

Like Candlin there are a couple of other Dunnings from Dawley area.

10140 Sgt. Dunning, Thomas, French Siver Medal (44 Dawley Bank, Shrops.)
33174 Pte. Dunning, John, Dawley, Shrops. killed with 2/Leinsters (No 15325) on 21-06-18

Can not add anything to William Oakley himself but he may have been related to 200319 George Oakley of 2 New Rd. Hinkshay.

The Dawley News gives Leonard, Taylor's age as 18 but C.W.G.C. gives it as 20, the Dawly News also he records badly wounded by shell on 18th, and a R.A.M.C. man went out to him and dressed wounds but to no avail.

16645 George Taylor, 8th Battalion, may be related, Absent Voters gives his address has 59 Dawley Bank.

The Dawley News gives Leonard, Taylor's age as 18 but C.W.G.C. gives it as 20, the Dawly News also he records badly wounded by shell on 18th, and a R.A.M.C. man went out to him and dressed wounds but to no avail.

16645 George Taylor, 8th Battalion, may be related, Absent Voters gives his address has 59 Dawley Bank.

George & Leonard were brothers

Can not add any to William Henry, Dunning. I will be walking over the ground where he was killed when I visit the Somme again, I have already walked of the ground last year but I left my camera in the car this next time I will make sure I have my camera and will be taking photos of many of the areas where the men in your list above where killed so if you want any copies I will be happy to let you have them.

Like Candlin there are a couple of other Dunnings from Dawley area.

10140 Sgt. Dunning, Thomas, French Siver Medal (44 Dawley Bank, Shrops.)
33174 Pte. Dunning, John, Dawley, Shrops. killed with 2/Leinsters (No 15325) on 21-06-18

John & William were Brothers

Hi Phil

I will be getting a copy of your book next time I am up at Shrewsbury :)

Dave I have not forgot about giving you all the info. I have on men from your area, I am going to copy it onto a disc or removed hard drive and you can just plug it into your computer and save the info. to your computer, mind you I have been side tracked a lot with work on my book, hopefully by the time of the next Staffs Pal visit to the Somme I will have it done, its a shame you do not have lotus Approach.

Annette

What's Lotus approach... is that how you walk up to a flower ??

What's Lotus approach... is that how you walk up to a flower ??

Yes Dave it is :) Thanks for confirming the relationship of George & Leonard, Taylor & John & William, Dunning, I will add so to their notes.

Annette

Cheers Annette

Hope you find the book of use

by the way have you got anything on Arthur Thomas Jukes 5 Yorkshire regt, died pow Germany 19 October 1918

he is commemorated on the Ludlow war memorial and for some reason also on my parish war memorial at Shrewsbury

no obit found is there anything in the Ludlow papers that you know off

PHIL

Hi Phil

The Ludlow Advertiser does not seem to have any obit or not many if it does, then again when I look through I am only looking for the casualty lists so not taking much notice. I will have a look at Clive's book on Ludlow's Memorial to see what he found on Arthur Thomas Jukes, will get back to you.

Annette