Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isle of Arran at war.

Clive Harris

Having just returned from a couple of days staying with an old Army pal on Arran (couldn't stay any longer as I missed the piccadilly line, police sirens and smog etc etc). I, as I guess we all do took time to pause at the local war memorials. I was struck by the ammount of men from the Island serving in the New Zealand Forces but as for a local regiment/battalion there seemed an ecclectic mix of Scottish Regiments, does anyone know who the local battalion were or did Arran raise a company of "pal's" that served with a particular unit. I guess many of the men folk were required for local farming/distillery/fishing work, I have checked Beckes, James & Ray Westlake and nothing appears obvious. Nice (quiet) place though.....

Can't help out with your specific question Clive, but I note that there is a 122 page publication available from Ray Westlake which covers the service records of those from Brodick, Isle of Arran.

Marc

Arran was in the recruiting area of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. I don't have my books to hand but I'm pretty sure the local TF unit would have been the 8th (Argyllshire)Bn A&SH and I'm sure there was also a TF RGA unit in Brodick.

I'm surprised that there was a lot of NZEF names. In my experience of Scottish War Memorials it is usually CEF and then AIF units that are listed mostly for overseas units.

I've never been to Arran so I can't vouch for the Memorials there or give a reason why New Zealand was such an attractive place to emigrate to for folk from Arran.

There is usually a good spread of units on memorials for a couple of reasons:

1. By the end of the War many men had changed units after being wounded or if their old units were disbanded / amalgamated and you will find a good many of the names on your average memorial will date from 1918.

2. Many men would had left their homes in Arran to find work pre-war and would have enlisted in their new home towns. Many from Argyll would end up in Glasgow so they could end up in the HLI, Scottish Rifles or Camerons, all units which recruited heavily in Glasgow in 1914. (The HLI and Royal Scots both had 'Highland' battalions which actively recruited highlanders resident in Glasgow and Edinburgh before and during the war)

Saying that I think you'll find most men on the Memorials in Arran will be Argylls.

Thanks guys, I will contact Ray Westlake regarding the Brodick book.

I noticed a couple of Argyles on the list, I am aware of the 8th Btn its their memorial at the entrance to the Sunken Lane at Beaumont Hamel, I will also read my copy of "The 51st In France" by Capt Ross though he is 7th Gordon's it should help. Im not sure they have reprinted the 51st Div history yet, I certainly dont have the original. Thanks once more fellow forumites!

The 51st (Highland) Division history has been reprinted. It is also for sale on Ray Westlake's book site if you are interested.

Clive

I have a copy of the Arran book if you can't get a copy & need any info.

I have a good friend who was born on the island and have spent a lot of time there

Thanks Terry, I seem to remember a name Niel Henderson on the memorial at Shishkine, he was killed whilst serving with the Black Watch at High Wood, this is very close to Balmichael where my mate has his visitors centre and the adjacent landowner, his neighbour was a Niel Henderson also. I am on tour next week walking the Somme and have soldiers died etc with me so will do some more research into him, Is Mr Henderson mentioned in your book?, thanks once more Clive

Clive

The book is actually about the men from Brodick, Arran who served rather than the whole island. The more detailed biogs are for the Brodick men. However, there is a list at the back of all those who served from elsewhere on Arran.

Sgt N.Henderson (Black Watch) is listed under Shiskine as 'Killed 3/9/16'

From this book it is clear than the men of Arran served in many different regiments and units in some numbers as listed below.

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Highland Light Infantry

Scottish Rifles

Royal Field Artillery

Seaforth Highlanders

Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

Black Watch

Royal Garrison Artillery

Cameron Highlanders

Gordon Highlanders

Machine Gun Corps

Royal Engineers

Lovat Scouts

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Tank Corps

Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Scottish Horse

Royal Scots

Royal Fusiliers

Army Veterinary Corps

Scots Guards and many more (inc English & Welsh regiments)

They also served in the RAF, Royal Navy and Merchant Navy as well as the forces of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa and the USA! For a small group of islanders, they certainly got about!