Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherborne School's Books of Remembrance available on Flickr

SherborneSchoolArchives

Sherborne School’s Books of Remembrance commemorating former pupils who died in the First and Second World Wars are now available on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98140820@N03/collections/72157634838999249/

The Books of Remembrance record the names of former pupils who died in the First and Second World Wars with, in the majority of cases, a photograph of the individual. Accompanying each image is biographical information about the individual, including their full name, date of birth and the names of their parents; the dates they attended Sherborne School and their achievements there; their rank and regiment, together with any decorations they were awarded, their date and place of death and where they are commemorated.

It is hoped that researchers will add additional information to the stories of these Old Shirburnians who gave their lives “for the national cause and the cause of honour, freedom and justice” (Nowell Smith, Headmaster of Sherborne School, October 1915).

Rachel Hassall

School Archivist

Sherborne School

Email: rhassall@sherborne.org

Thankyou Rachel. That's the first photo I've seen of Basil Capel-Cure, though I've vistied his grave several times.

Thank you, Kate. Do you have any additional information about him or his family? He looks very dashing in the photograph.

Thank you, Rachel, for making available the memorial books for both wars from Sherborne - very much appreciated and invaluable for any researchers.

Regards ... Maricourt

Thank you Rachel, great resource and site.

Andy

• Admin

Thank you for this splendid resource, what a work of art as well as remembrance. My son played cricket at Sherborne a few years ago, there are quite a few familiar names from the first elevens. As I was too nervous to watch him bat (it was his county debut!) I looked at the names on the first eleven boards until he had got a few runs.

Michelle

These are very valuable and interesting records.

Do you happen to know if similar records were maintained for the local schools of Fosters or St Aldhelms ? I'm sure their sacrifices were equivalent and Lord Digby's may also have suffered nursing or suchlike casualties.

I understand your primary interests will lay with the Boy's public school but I wonder if links have been forged; especially as all of the state schools mentioned have now disappeared.It would be particularly interesting to see if local men served with, aside or under your 'temporary' locals.

Regards and thank you for posting

Tim

Many thanks, Tim. I understand that a group of people associated with Sherborne Museum are currently working on a project concerning the names on the Sherborne town First World War memorial. This will include biographical information about the individuals with details, where known, of where they went to school.

I am also informed that details of former Fosters School pupils who died in the First World War will soon be posted on the Old Fosterians website http://fosterians.wordpress.com/, and that the board listing war casualties that used to be displayed at Fosters School is now on display at the Gryphon School.

I hope that helps!

What wonderful Books of Remembrance, thank you for making them available to the public.

Denstone College in Staffordshire also has Books of Remembrance for both wars, but containing only photos, and I was told that it wasn't felt to be appropriate for the photos of those pupils who had lost their lives in the wars to be circulated online. Sadly, on glancing through the books I could see that at least a couple of photos had been removed, maybe by relatives or 'collectors'.

• 5 years later...