Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial volumes

Dust Jacket Collector

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Coincidentally I’ve just bought one of the nicest memorial volumes I’ve ever come across - Letters to Edward : Albert Edward George Arnold Keppel of the 2nd Batt., The Rifle Brigade, the youngest son of the Earl of Albemarle. Not in Donovan and I can’t find it listed anywhere. Lots of letters from the front & signed by his mother, Lady Albemarle. By one of those spooky coincidences, I was reading it and noticed some of the letters mentioned the family seat, Quidenham Hall in Norfolk. My wife was watching one of those Michael Portillo train journeys : I look up and where is he - Quidenham Hall, now a Carmelite nunnery. Clearly I was meant to have it!

That is a strange coincidence , sounds like a very interesting book and it's always extra nice when you know it's a rarity . 

7 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Coincidentally I’ve just bought one of the nicest memorial volumes I’ve ever come across - Letters to Edward : Albert Edward George Arnold Keppel of the 2nd Batt., The Rifle Brigade, the youngest son of the Earl of Albemarle. Not in Donovan and I can’t find it listed anywhere. Lots of letters from the front & signed by his mother, Lady Albemarle. 

There is a similar sounding book on eBay listed as 

1919 Life Of Lieutenant Edward Keppel rare Private Press war book England WW1

Albert Edward George Arnold Keppel,

Lieutenant 2nd Battallion, The Rifle Brigade

Letters and Correspondence relating to his short life and his death in action collected by his father and mother 1918

Printed for Private Circulation by A.L. Humphreys, 187 Piccadilly, London 1919.    Very Good+ 4to hardcover in what appears to be a re-binding. .. (Lieutenant The Hon. ALBERT EDWARD KEPPEL Mentioned in Despatches 2nd Bn., Rifle Brigade who died age 19 on 31 July 1917.)  202pp, illus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-LIFE-OF-LIEUTENANT-EDWARD-KEPPEL-rare-Private-Press-war-book-England-/293357577103

Cheers

Maureen

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.33.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 12.36.13 pm.png

5 hours ago, Maureene said:

There is a similar sounding book on eBay listed as 

1919 Life Of Lieutenant Edward Keppel rare Private Press war book England WW1

Albert Edward George Arnold Keppel,

Lieutenant 2nd Battallion, The Rifle Brigade

Letters and Correspondence relating to his short life and his death in action collected by his father and mother 1918

Printed for Private Circulation by A.L. Humphreys, 187 Piccadilly, London 1919.    Very Good+ 4to hardcover in what appears to be a re-binding. .. (Lieutenant The Hon. ALBERT EDWARD KEPPEL Mentioned in Despatches 2nd Bn., Rifle Brigade who died age 19 on 31 July 1917.)  202pp, illus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-LIFE-OF-LIEUTENANT-EDWARD-KEPPEL-rare-Private-Press-war-book-England-/293357577103

Cheers

Maureen

That’s an even stranger coincidence. There doesn’t seem to be a copy on any of the library sites and yet two turn up in a week.

Well that makes three that we know of then as I have a copy.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

12 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Well that makes three that we know of then as I have a copy.

Andy

And yet it doesn’t appear in Tom Donovan’s bibliography or the British Library or even the Imperial War Museum - or any other library come to that. So I reckon it’s either as rare as the proverbial teeth or common as could be!

Never seen a copy before I purchased my copy and it had been on my want list for some years. Also does not appear in Michael Haines  "A Critical Biography"

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 5 months later...

from New Zealand "A new Zealanders diary" Gallipoli and France 1915-1917 by E P Williams Canterbury regiment privately printed 1920 ?  a substantial book of 273 pages printed on art paper very scarce never seen it  before {mentioned in T D `S book of memorial volumes }

Sounds interesting. Not come across that one before. I find I now have 130 of these memorials. I may have to buy another bookcase.

12 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Sounds interesting. Not come across that one before. I find I now have 130 of these memorials. I may have to buy another bookcase.

yes what interested me was the fact that it consists entirely of his servive at G

Just now, barkalotloudly said:

yes what interested me was the fact that it consists entirely of his diary of  service at G

Service at Gallipoli and in France up to 1917 {the date of his death }

3 hours ago, barkalotloudly said:

Service at Gallipoli and in France up to 1917 {the date of his death }

That's what puts me off memorial volumes ( apart from the price ) they're so hit and miss as to whether they contain much about the person's war experiences or not .

yes i have being bitten by that one!

That’s where Tom’s bibliography comes in handy. He tells you how much of the book is War related.

22 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

yes i have being bitten by that one!

The last one i bought that was a bit of a disappointment was ' A Royal Sussex Hero' , i did try and google it and there did appear to be extracts on-line

which appeared to suggest it contained quite a bit about experiences in the early months of the war ( he was killed on 31st Dec 1914 ) but unfortunately

it didn't .

20 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

That’s where Tom’s bibliography comes in handy. He tells you how much of the book is War related.

That is a useful book to have , my own method of deciding is ' if it's cheap buy it ' then at least if it doesn't contain much WW1 info i haven't lost too much .

Anyway i suppose they are a snapshot of an era that will never return and a quite poignant reminder of the sacrifice of so many young lives we could ill afford

to lose .

• 3 months later...

Just acquired this book at a reasonable price , published in 1918 by Gale & Polden ' Forty Months of the Great War ' a brief record of service rendered 

by Major and temporary Lieut-Colonel Henry Charles Rochfort-Boyd D.S.O Royal Horse Artillery , From Mons to Cambrai , compiled by his father . 69pp

with appendices and 2 maps .

forty months forum.jpeg

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

Just acquired this book at a reasonable price , published in 1918 by Gale & Polden ' Forty Months of the Great War ' a brief record of service rendered 

by Major and temporary Lieut-Colonel Henry Charles Rochfort-Boyd D.S.O Royal Horse Artillery , From Mons to Cambrai , compiled by his father . 69pp

with appendices and 2 maps .

A brilliant buy. The only copy I’ve seen was in the Bloomsbury auction on 12th May 2011 which fetched £488 inc. buyers premium. Was it on eBay? Personally I’ve not found much to buy lately. I guess the dealers aren’t able to view any collections at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

A brilliant buy. The only copy I’ve seen was in the Bloomsbury auction on 12th May 2011 which fetched £488 inc. buyers premium. Was it on eBay? Personally I’ve not found much to buy lately. I guess the dealers aren’t able to view any collections at the moment.

Exactly so-  Most of the books that you lot collect are those that should turn up as "dead books"-that is, from the families of people connected with the events of the Great War or time-expired collectors  ( Without "no names,no pokey drill"-I suspect that there are more collectors of Great War stuff in the "Pensioner" category than the teenage market)  Quite what has happened to the throughput of stuff at auctions with probate sales,etc is a bit of a puzzle-Folk keep shuffling off, estates and probate still have to be settled. Perhaps a slurry of goodies when The Lurgi abates?

Dealers can still view collections,subject to COVID restrictions but the stuff does not seem to be coming into trade. A number,who rely on throughput and turnover, are struggling and many are effectively in abeyance as bookselling was not their main source of income ("The Trustafarians") 

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Cheers Alan , yes and it only set me back £35 & p&p so that was a result ! I've not bought that many older books lately but have been buying mostly newer paperbacks editions

of soldier's memoirs and diaries . 

• 2 months later...

I’ve just noticed that a copy of the Memorial volume to Captain E. S. Underhill has just been put up for sale on ABE. It’s the original & they don’t get much better or rarer than that. Not a bad price either at £125.

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I’ve just noticed that a copy of the Memorial volume to Captain E. S. Underhill has just been put up for sale on ABE. It’s the original & they don’t get much better or rarer than that. Not a bad price either at £125.

hope it is purchased by somebody who really appreciates it as it is a lovely scarce  book 

• 7 months later...

This book has been on my radar for a few years ,but haven't seen a cheaply priced copy until now ( T.D had a copy for £120 back in 2003 and there are a few copies in Australia  , where it was published , for about the same price ) . George Pollard Kay gets quite a few mentions in that classic R.F.C book ' No Parachute ' . 

letters from bob forum.jpeg

Looks interesting. New one to me. Another to add to the list.

18 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Looks interesting. New one to me. Another to add to the list.

It was included on my list ( post No 2 ) on this thread Alan , mind you it was rather a long one :wacko:

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

It was included on my list ( post No 2 ) on this thread Alan , mind you it was rather a long one :wacko:

Difficult to remember things from 8 days ago let alone 8 years! Good list though ; have managed to find just over 140 of them so far.