Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WILLIAM ASKEY-CHESLYN HAY WAR MEMORIAL

WO1 Hughes

Can anyone help please?

I am trying to build an album containing photographs,Cemetary sites and details of all those listed on the War Memorial at Cheslyn Hay. I have identified numerous but am struggling trawling through records to finish my search: The CWGC website has multiple, sometimes hundreds of entries for the names below, narrowing it down trawling through records is exhaustive, I am unable to identify the following on the CWGC website for the fallen and link them to the name on the Chesly Hay War Memorial!

William Askey

George Bowen

William Bowen

Ernest Bowen

Thomas Bosworth

George H Davies

Harry Griffiths

William Holt

Charles Hickman

Ronald A knox

John Lockett

George Lockley

Joseph Masters

Edward Morris

Walter Owen

William Potts

Frank Rainbow

Ernest Robinson

Reginald Rowley

Thomas Russell

Ben Smith

George Smith

Joseph Stokes

William Taplin

Charles H Whitehouse

Hughes

If you are researching so many men I would suggest you join Ancestry or search the site from a local library etc.

Many of the men are easily findable using the 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' collection.

Regards,

Graeme

PS has member Jon6640 already completed this task ???

Good luck with this project, having done something similar, I found that sometimes the men listed hadn't necessarily all been in the British army, it is worth checking under Australians, New Zealand, etc, or they might have died postwar after the CWGC cut off date. I also found some spelling mistakes and the use of nicknames eg Frank rather than Francis. I would second the suggestion to have a look on Ancestry.

Moriaty

• Admin

You could always use Ancestery's two week free trial as long as you remember t ocancel it before the fortnight is up. An example of what Soldiers Died will tell you

Name: William ASKEY

Birthplace: Hednesford, Staffs

Residence: Cheslyn Hay, Staffs

Enlisted: Hednesford

Regiment, Corps etc.: Manchester Regiment

Battalion etc.: 1/5th Battalion.

Number: 345036

Date died: 2 September 1918

How died: Died of wounds

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 203168, SOUTH STAFFS REGT.

definitely worth joining Ancestry (or Findmypast).

A search for Cheslyn Hay in the military records on Ancestry, brings up :

33 records in Soldiers Died in the Great War

27 WW1 pension records

70 WW1 service records

Not sure who you have found already, you might try a Google search with

"cheslyn hay" site:cwgc.org

as the search term.

This will pull up any records on the CWGC website with the free text "Cheslyn Hay" in the record. You will get WW2 as well as WW1 records.

Also look for local newspaper archives at your library and one source that I found particularly useful was the parish church monthly newsletter, which would list names of the fallen plus details of their address and family members left behind.

There are no quick and easy answers to cases where CWGC provides many possibilities, it just comes down to good old fashioned slogging thorugh data sources, both online and offline

And be prepared to end up with a few that you can never actually pin down. I still have some that have eluded me after 14 years research !! And of course you will also start to find local men who aren't on the memorials but ARE on CWGC, etc.

All the informationis really useful and appreciated, good old fashioned slogging away and Ancestry I think is the way forward. I have previously been to the Loos cemetary and placed a laminated picture of Capt C Hawkins next to his inscription, I intend to hopefully be able to obtain pictures and do the same for all of them as I visit France and Belgium frequently.

Presumably you already have sufficient on these men from a CWGC search?

AMES, WILLIAM. Rank: Driver. Service No: 488453. Date of Death: 23/03/1918. Age: 24.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 93rd Field Coy.

Panel Reference: Bay 1. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Ames, of Streets Lane, Laudywood, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

BENTON, ALBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 19875. Date of Death: 14/07/1917. Age: 24.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 9th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 35 and 37. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of George Benton, of 47, High St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

BICKLEY, WALTER. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 1439. Date of Death: 13/10/1915. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 1st/2nd North Midland Field Coy.

Panel Reference: Panel 4 and 5. Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Charles and Harriet Bickley, of 121, High St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

BOUCHER, FREDERICK. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 17102. Date of Death: 30/09/1916. Age: 39.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 9th Bn.

Panel Reference: Pier and Face 7 B. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Husband of Hannah Boucher, of 3, Pinfold Lane, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

BOWEN, JAMES ERNEST. Rank: Rifleman. Service No: 56098. Date of Death: 01/11/1918. Age: 26.

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps. 25th Bn.

Grave Reference: XIII. A. 3B. Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of John and Mary Bowen. Native of Cheslyn Hay, Staffs.

BREVITT, H. Rank: 2nd Corporal. Service No: 79948. Date of Death: 14/09/1915.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 176th Tunnelling Coy.

Grave Reference: I. E. 8. Cemetery: GORRE BRITISH AND INDIAN CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Mr. W. H. Brevitt, of 36, Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

BROWN, JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 18665. Date of Death: 14/09/1916. Age: 23.

Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Pier and Face 8 D. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Alice Brown, of Wrekin View, Cheslyn Hay, Staffs, and the late John Brown.

CARVER, THOMAS. Rank: Private. Service No: 13623. Date of Death: 12/05/1917. Age: 41.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 1st/6th Bn.

Grave Reference: I. C. 13. Cemetery: FOSSE NO.10 COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, SAINS-EN-GOHELLE

Additional Information: Brother of Mrs. Sarah Ann Warrender, of 23, Hatherton St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

DAVIES, G. Rank: Private. Service No: 17449. Date of Death: 14/11/1917.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 7th Bn.

Grave Reference: F. 146. Cemetery: CHESLYN HAY CEMETERY

DOUGHTY, EDWARD RICHARD. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 802019. Date of Death: 23/07/1917. Age: 37.

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry. 15th Bn.

Panel Reference: Memorial: VIMY MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Thomas Doughty, of Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs;

husband of Annie Elizabeth Doughty, of 9, Victoria St., Cannock, Staffs, England.

FARNELL, SAMSON. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 112552. Date of Death: 23/12/1915.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 179th Coy.

Grave Reference: I. C. 34. Cemetery: NORFOLK CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT

Additional Information: Son of John and Ellen Farnell, of 27, Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

HARRIMAN, WILLIAM. Rank: Gunner. Service No: 37600. Date of Death: 27/01/1917. Age: 22.

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. 180th Heavy Bty.

Grave Reference: K.I. 99. Cemetery: WINCHESTER (MAGDALEN HILL) CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of William and Ellen Harriman. Born at Cheslyn Hay, Staffs.

HAYCOX, JOHN. Rank: Private. Service No: 15064. Date of Death: 16/06/1915. Age: 35.

Regiment/Service: Worcestershire Regiment. 3rd Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 34. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Husband of Mary Elizabeth Haycox, of 15, Coppice Lane, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

HOLLAND, JOSEPH THOMAS. Rank: 2nd Corporal. Service No: 121662. Date of Death: 21/08/1918. Age: 31.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 184th Tunnelling Coy.

Grave Reference: XXV. C. 24A. Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Joseph and Mary Jane Holland; husband of Beatrice G. Holland, of Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

JONES, HERBERT. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 15245. Date of Death: 29/03/1918. Age: 29.

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Bay 2 and 3. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Joseph and Elizabeth Jones, of 22, Belt Rd., Chadsmoor, Hednesford, Staffs;

husband of Susannah Jones, of 40, Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

KENDALL, H. Rank: Private. Service No: 203165. Date of Death: 29/06/1917. Age: 21.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 5th Reserve Bn.

Grave Reference: A. 377. Cemetery: CHESLYN HAY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Josiah and Harriet Kendall, of 23, Saredon Rd., Cheslyn Hay.

LAWSON, WALLACE THOMAS. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 488344. Date of Death: 14/01/1919. Age: 26.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 362nd Forestry Coy.

Grave Reference: B. 213. Cemetery: GREAT WYRLEY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Emma Lawson, of 88, Station St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

MANN, J H. Rank: Private. Service No: 17298. Date of Death: 21/08/1917. Age: 36.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 7th Bn.

Grave Reference: I. D. 1. Cemetery: BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY NO.3

Additional Information: Husband of Comfort Mann, of 10, Queen St., Cheslyn, Hay, Walsall.

MATTHEWS, G. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 9841. Date of Death: 21/11/1915. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 1st Bn.

Grave Reference: I. H. 4. Cemetery: WOBURN ABBEY CEMETERY, CUINCHY

Additional Information: Son of Walter and Elizabeth Matthews, of Dunduck Lane, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

MITCHELL, ROBERT HENRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 22974. Date of Death: 13/08/1918. Age: 20.

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots. 5th/6th Bn.

Grave Reference: IV. AA. 1. Cemetery: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of James Mitchell, of 7, Chapel Square, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

PARKER, ERNEST JAMES. Rank: Private. Service No: 49090. Date of Death: 08/03/1921. Age: 30.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 5th Bn.

Grave Reference: B. 169A. Cemetery: CHESLYN HAY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of James and Phoebe Parker. Born at Cheslyn Hay.

PARNABY, W U. Rank: Private. Service No: 35256. Date of Death: 12/07/1916. Age: 38.

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own). 14th Bn.

Grave Reference: F. 171. Cemetery: CHESLYN HAY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of William and Mary Parnaby; husband of Hannah Walker (formerly Parnaby), of 14 Penley's Grove St., York. Born at York.

PARSONS, CLARENCE. Rank: Driver. Service No: 486931. Date of Death: 09/10/1918. Age: 21.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 473rd Field Coy.

Panel Reference: Face 6. Memorial: MADRAS 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL, CHENNAI

Additional Information: Son of John Arthur and Annie Parsons, of 109, High St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, W. Midlands.

Buried in Bangalore (Hosur Road) Cemetery.

RIDGWAY, J. Rank: Private. Service No: 24703. Date of Death: 14/08/1915. Age: 19.

Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers. 2nd Bn.

Grave Reference: Sp. Mem. C. 14. Cemetery: TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Job Ridgway, of 20, Queen's St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

ROOBOTTOM, ERNEST ARTHUR. Rank: Private. Service No: 40995. Date of Death: 19/08/1917. Age: 37.

Regiment/Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. 1st Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 144 to 145. Memorial: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of George and Sarah Roobottom; husband of Lucy Ann Roobottom, of Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

RUSSELL, A. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 10782. Date of Death: 04/11/1917. Age: 24.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 1st Bn.

Grave Reference: XXX. J. 10. Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of Henry and Mary Ann Russell, of 26, Queen St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

SMITH, H. Rank: Sapper. Service No: 488375. Date of Death: 01/12/1917. Age: 21.

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers. 79th Field Coy. Awards: M M

Grave Reference: II. B. 27. Cemetery: BLEUET FARM CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of James and Emily Smith, of 49, Low St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall.

WITHNALL, HARRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 8135. Date of Death: 02/08/1915. Age: 25.

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 1st/5th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 35 and 37. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of William Withnall, of 132, Station St., Cheslyn Hay, Staffs.

This may be of interest......

post-1356-0-12930600-1376487229_thumb.pn

Brigadier-General,thanks again.

I am visiting the Local Historic Society next week and I should be able to wrap up my search on this project. If I come unstuck I will post again. Many thanks for the invaluable information.

• 11 months later...

Hello have just joined the forum . Clarence Parsons (One of the names on the cheslyn hay memorial) was my Nans uncle sadly she never met him but she used to have a picture of him on her wall. I'm moved by the fact that people are researching the young fallen solders who died . I shall check with my Nan if she still has the old photo of clarence and will try and post it on here.

That's one of the reasons, I/we try to put Names and whatever details we can on here, so that relatives if using a Search Engine might find information they might have been unaware of, or can add something to those researching.

Glad that what they did at Cheslyn Hay has kept his memory alive.

Hi Carla

Desperately hoping you have a picture of him

This is what I have

Clarence was born Great Wyrley to John Arthur and Annie (nee Cooper) Parsons of 104 and later of 109, High Street, Cheslyn Hay, his father being a coal mine loader.

He enlisted in the 2nd North Midland Field Company, Royal Engineers with regimental number 2020 in August 1914 and succumbed to influenza.

Clarence is buried in Hosur Road Cemetery, Bangalore in Grave 8.T.21 and is also commemorated on a Royal Engineers memorial within the cemetery which records ‘In memory of the N.C.O.’s and men of the Royal Engineers who died at Bangalore during the influenza epidemic 1918 erected by their comrades.’ He was 21 years of age.

Can you 'correct, alter or add' anything to what I've posted at all ??

Regards,

Graeme