Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpretation of card

susan1962

I've just downloaded my grandfathers medal card from the National Archives and found the following remark on it.

Victory and British Star Returned(1743KR) 8115/(indecipherable writing)

A856

B.W.Wisbech Nov 1932

AS/GE(rest of word indecipherable)/1631

8115/A(rest of word indecipherable)

HELP!

What does all this mean?

Was it usual for ex service men to return their medals?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Susan - Medals were usually returned if there was an error in the number, rank, unit or more usually the naming. Could you post the MIC so that we can have a better look at what has been written.

Ian :)

Hi Ian,

thanks for the reply.

As requested I've posted a copy of the MIC for you to look at.

As I downloaded it from the National Archives there's several on the page that you can ignore.The one you need to look at is the one top left for George Ragsdell.

Many thanks.

Dear Ian,

yes that was the wrong document-lol.That one should have been posted to another board.I'm just a luddite.I'm far better with pen and paper!

So 3rd time lucky-lol(we hope)

post-31-1095540455.jpg

Hi Susan

I see that your grandfather was awarded a Silver War Badge (see the reference to SWB List....). His entry on this roll will tell you a little more information about his service with the Army including date of enlistment and discharge.

As a matter of interest, do you have any pictures of him taken after his discharge from the Army wearing a small, circular lapel badge?

Incidentally, my great-great-Uncle (Edwin Matthews) also served with the 7th Bn. Lincolnshire Regt. but was killed in action at Ypres in March 1916.

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks for interpreting that.I presume its the writing on the left bottom?(I misread it as HWB )

By the way,excuse the ignorance but whats a silver war badge and why would he have been awarded it?(I'm new to all this!!

How can I get on that list you mentioned?It sounds very interesting.I would love to know more about his service history.

Don't suppose you also know what the other numbers etc on the MIC mean do you?

Hello Susan

Yes, the SWB reference is the one in the left hand corner. I'll endeavour to look up his roll entry the next time I'm at the National Archives.

Follow this link for some more basic info. on the SWB:

Silver War Badge

The badge is 31mm in diameter and you may well have some photographs of your grandfather wearing it on his lapel.

The other numbers refer to his entry on the Medal Rolls for the British War and Victory medals. These are also worth consulting.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Ed