Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1st Surrey Yeomanry

Gardenerbill

In April 1917 my Grandfather was transferred to 801 Company ASC MT. This company were the 16th Corps Troop Supply Column and the unit that they supplied were the 1/1st Surrey Yeomanry.

My question is; where were the 1/1st Surrey Yeomanry in Spring 1917, I know they were in the Struma valley Sector but that is all?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

1/1st Surrey Yeomanry. Source: The History and War Records of the Surrey Yeomanry by E D Harrison Ainsworth.

Feb 25th Barakli, Prosenik

Feb 27th Kumli

Mar 3rd Barakli Prosenik Topolova Kjupri

Mar 6th Kopaci, Humlos-Suho-Berevo

Apr 24th attached to 2nd Cheshires and a Bn of Northumberland Fus

May 1st + 3 weeks: preparing for attack on Ernekoj and Spatovo the "M and J Stunt" in the area of Orljak...

May 21st marched to Orljak

May 22nd returned to Kopaci

May 27th some troops sent to Lelovo

Jun 8th withdrawn from the plain. New camp on the hill above Mahmudli

Ref the Photo - the Derbyshire Yeomanry, South Notts Hussars and Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry were all in theatre at the time . It is not possible to identify which Yeomanry is depicted in the photo. The photos does not appear in any of the published histories.

MG

Thank you Martin, very useful, I shall get out my SCS Trench maps and see if I can find the places you mention.

I suppose if it were possible to identify the unit in the photo the IWM would probably have done so, at any rate as a generic view of Yeomanry it gives a glimpse of their activity.

The publication you mention on the 1/1st Surrey Yeomanry is available second hand on amazon for £30 is it worth buying?

Mike

I think the book is good value. Typically a first edition Yeomanry history is more expensive. I have two copies which cost £48 and £35 respectively. Condition is a major factor on price, so if it is in good condition I would say it is definitely worth buying. you can always return it if not satisfied. By the standards of the day the Surrey Yeomanry history is well written and quite detailed. I have about 30 Yeomanry histories and the quality varies a lot. Rather frustratingly it does not have an index. Part IV covers A and B Sqnin Salonica (sic) which runs for 96 pages. My copies include "two sectional maps of the Salonica Front - wher the Surrey Yeomanry principally operated". One is the area of NE Lake Dojran and the other is the Struma Valley.

Maps: You might also be interested to know that the Imperial War Museum has reprinted the Lake Dojran 1:20,000 scale map which costs £3.25. The Official History: Macedonia also has avery detailed contoured map of the whole area of operations with all the towns and villages marked. This latter one is by far the most detailed map.

Other reading. In the very remote chance you have not already found these excellent books:

The Gardeners of Salonika by Alan Palmer (I assume Gardenerbill alludes to this)

Under the Devil's Eye: The British Military Experience in Macedonia 1915-18 by Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody

Also the Derbyshire Yeomanry War History 1914-1919 by Strutt devotes half of the book to Salonika as the DY was in theatre from late1915 to 1918 initially with the South Notts Hussars and Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry and later as Corps Cavalry. There are more than a few mentions of the 1/1st Surrey Yeomanry. The book has been reprinted in recent years and is not expensive. I also have the diary of a Trooper Cooling covering 1916-1917 in Salonika which is reasonably interesting. It has been transcribed.

Lastly "Macedonian Memories" by Henry C Day SJ HCF MC might be of interest. He was a Cavalry Chaplain embedded with the Notts and Derby Mounted Bde. It mentions the ASC on page 149. they were based on Gulley Ridge. He mentions Capt Bergman and Lt Whybrow of the ASC.

MG

Martin,

Unfortunately when I checked this morning the £30 book had gone, cheapest now £48, I will keep an eye out for another modestly priced copy. I have a trip to Kew planned to photograph the 801 Company war diary in a couple of weeks, hopefully this will help to add detail to my Grandfather's story. I have both the books you mention as well as Michael Youngs ASC book and Charles Packers Return to Salonika. My avatar (Gardenerbill) is an ironic reference to the book, it must have been quite upsetting for men like my Grandfather (Bill) who endured the loss of friends to both enemy fire and disease to have their efforts belittled, though as with all his generation he never mentioned it. I will also look out for 'Macedonia Memories' although a quick search on Amazon and Abebooks has just drwan a blank.

Thanks again.

Martin,

Unfortunately when I checked this morning the £30 book had gone, cheapest now £48, I will keep an eye out for another modestly priced copy. I have a trip to Kew planned to photograph the 801 Company war diary in a couple of weeks, hopefully this will help to add detail to my Grandfather's story. I have both the books you mention as well as Michael Youngs ASC book and Charles Packers Return to Salonika. My avatar (Gardenerbill) is an ironic reference to the book, it must have been quite upsetting for men like my Grandfather (Bill) who endured the loss of friends to both enemy fire and disease to have their efforts belittled, though as with all his generation he never mentioned it. I will also look out for 'Macedonia Memories' although a quick search on Amazon and Abebooks has just drwan a blank.

Thanks again.

How unfortunate. Don't worry, I am sure a copy will appear soon. It is not as scarce as some of t.he other Yeomanry histories. I expect the price of original published histories will climb over the next few years as interest rises on the back of the 100th Anniversaries of events in the Great War, so if you do find one, I would snap it up.

Macedonian Memories took me a few years to track down, but it wasn't that expensive. Around £30 from memory. There are a few very good military book dealers that might look out for a copy. I use Turner Donovan (online) who have monthly catalogues running into hundreds of books. They are extremely reliable.

Good luck with your research. MG.