Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"One Year's Embodied Service at Home"

Terry Carter

I was researching a Birmingham soldier and he enlisted on 31 August 1914 into the 6th Royal Warwickshire Territorial Force. His attestation paper states "One Year's Embodied Service at Home".

Thus he enlisted on 31 August 1914

Embodied on 31 August 1914

Went to France on 23 March 1915

Discharged Time Expired 6 June 1916.

I was under the impression that in 1914 a volunteer joined up for the duration.

Fair play, though, he re-enlisted into the army within a month. A different regiment

Just thought this was strange. A month before the battle of the Somme and they let him go

Terry

Hi,

He appears to have enlisted under specific Territorial Army terms of service - albeit not one I have heard of before. If he had enlisted into "Kitchener's Army" he would have signed on for 3 years or the duration but Territorial Army were an entirely different organisation.

He obviously altered his his Territorial terms of service to go abroad in 1915.

It is not unusual to see Territorials being discharged part way through WW1 if they became time expired at the end of their engagement period.

Steve Y

What's the man's details ?.

A time expired Territorial soldier was retained for a period of up to 1 year after his service expired (pre-conscription).

His release in June 1916 is also interesting as he would have come under the Military Service Act for the duration of the war so he was likely released on medical grounds.

Craig

Do you know how old he was? I've seen something like this mentioned as a device used by up to a year under under age soldiers for using the territorials to get into the army (and beginning training) with the idea that they could change their terms or re enlist when they passed the age limit. It required the ready connivance of the recruiter of course.

Craig,

I'm not sure your assertion is correct.

From a 8th Royal Scots 1914 Star Roll.

7432 Stark J-5/11/14-Dis 5/10/17 Para 392(xvi) K.R.(did not claim his Clasp and Roses)

4166 Col/Sgt Steer(may be l)e J.-5/11/14-Dis Time x 28/4/16((did not claim his Clasp and Roses)

7122 L/Sgt Sterricks J-5/11/14-Dis Time x 20/5/16.(claimed his Clasp and Roses)

George

Do you know how old he was? I've seen something like this mentioned as a device used by up to a year under under age soldiers for using the territorials to get into the army (and beginning training) with the idea that they could change their terms or re enlist when they passed the age limit. It required the ready connivance of the recruiter of course.

When I put in the hard graft at Cambridge Uni Library on AOs I spent ages copying the early war announcements on Terms of Engagement and remember thinking that they were quick off the mark and clearly had been living, ready to roll, in somebody's drawer.

BUT NOTHING ON THAT SORT OF EXPEDIENT.

Don't think I missed it.

Graham Stewart may have an angle.

Is he a Territorial or National Reservist and if the latter what Class? - Terms & Conditions differ for N.R.'s - sadly still abroad so don't have my Regulations here with me.

I'm not sure your assertion is correct.

A time expired territorial would be retained under the MSA 1916 (after May 1916) unless he had already extended his service voluntarily (for which he was given a £15.00 bounty and 1 months leave).

Under the MSA part 1 a man could be released but would then fall under the MSA part 2 which came in slightly later.

Under Part 1 an exclusion was made for "5. Men who had served with the military or Navy and been discharged on grounds of ill-health or termination of service." however come 25 May 1916 this exclusion was removed under part 2 of the MSA 1916 and previously discharged soldiers became liable for conscription.

Any T.F. therefore should have been OK for discharge before 25 May 1916 as time expired territorials - this covers Steer and Sterricks.

The other man, Stark, was discharged due to other reasons -para 392 XVI - physically unfit for service.

Craig

Craig,

They were pre-War Territorials and had signed up for a length of service.

When War was declared their length of service was extended by one year.

I accept,of course,that any time expired Territorial would be subject to conscription should he not "choose" to remain with his TF Battalion.

i.e.Would a man joining a TF Battalion for four years ,in 1908, and signing on for another three, ever anticipated WW1?

George

The MIC has the name as James Steele -The date given is 5 Nov 1914 is the date overseas rather than the date of enlistment so if he had served for a few years pre 1914 he could have been time expired in April 1916. As he was a Clr Sjt in 1914 having a few years service under his belt would make sense (suggesting enlistment on or before April 1911).

Craig

I don't think this has anything to do with service being extended by one year. The date of enlistment is August 31, 1914 and that is when he was embodied, so a fresh recruit. In addition, I have just found Para 129 in TF Regs 1912 (amended with Army Orders up to December 1914) which is reproduced below.

post-7172-0-76610000-1376246387_thumb.jp

1 of para 156 is Termination of Engagement. So as he had previously served in that arm of the TF he was permitted to re-enlist for 1 year at the discretion of the County Association.

Craig,

I am certain James Steele was a pre-War TF member of the 8th Royal Scots,received his "notification of embodiment" on 4/5 August 1914,did three months hard preparation "route marches,etc.

Was "called" ,by his Colonel, to an assembly ,who "announced " the Battalion was to serve overseas.

His Battalion landing,,n France ,on the 5th November 1914.

George