Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glen Red Cross Hospital, Southend on Sea

Sally B

Does a photograph of this Red Cross Hospital still exist? Herbert Topham Reg. No. 560 who was in the Bedfordshire Yeomany, Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line (including Yeomanry & Imperial Camel Corps) died in this hospital on 7th Jan 1916. The History Society in Eltisley, Cambridgeshire the village where he was born are hoping to publish a book next year to honour the men from our village who fought & died in WW1, we have done some research & discovered where he died and would like to include a photograph or more information about the hospital in our book. Can anyone help please?

I'm not sure if this hospital was in Southend or nearby Westcliff-on-Sea, but newspaper reports indicate it was situated close to Southchurch Avenue and Lancaster Gardens.

The matron, Mrs Annie Grace Swan, was fined £2 by the local magistrates in December 1915, for failing to shade or obscure the building's lights, plus 5/- and 10/- fines for further similar offenses. The area had already suffered enemy bombing during 1915, and in August 1917 another bomb fell close to hospital during an air raid that killed at least 32 people.

You could try phoning Southend Central Library but make sure you do it before the 17 August as they are just about to move

http://www.southend.gov.uk/info/437/library_branches/28/library_branches/2

Thank you seaJane, I have just phoned the library and am hopefully going to talk to someone tomorrow who may be able to help me. Many thanks.

All I can add is that it provided 116 beds for other ranks, so quite large by auxiliary hospital standards.

Sue

According to this website http://www.southendt...donsouthend.htm bombs from the Gotha raid dropped close to the Glen Red Cross Hospital in Westcliff.

It then lists a number of locations where the bombs dropped, which locates the Glen Hospital in Southchurch Avenue, which is actually slightly further EAST of Southend Pier.

I assume the allotments referred to as being adjacent to the bomb at Glen hospital would be Bournemouth Park Road, to give you an approximate area.

However as an ex Sarfender, I can't recall any buildings sufficiently large to have been a 116 bed hospital in that general area.

I'd have guessed it to have been a hotel so would expect it to be quite near the shore, rather than further inland, but prepared to learn something from this!

Googling a map of Southend and plotting the roads mentioned may give you a sense of any "track" the bombs may have had.

I certainly remember the gate pillars and facade of the old Technical School being peppered with shrapnel marks, from the raid, before they demolished it.

At least Herbert Ward Topham was buried near his family, the local papers may have had an article about his funeral.

SDGW simply states "Died" inferring not death from wounds.

At least his brother, William George survived.

I haven't found a Medal Index Card, so Herbert may not have served Overseas. Just what he was doing in a Southend hospital would be interesting to know,

I contacted the Red Cross Organisation and they have sent me the following information.'In October, 1914, an excellent house known as 'The Glen' was taken by Essex/34 and equipped as a hospital for 50 beds. Soon after a convoy of 45 Belgians was received, and the hospital has been comparatively full ever since. It contains some excellent wards, operating theatre, and other facilities for dealing with all kinds of cases. A mortuary and store-room were added later, and the Detachment raised by voluntary effort about £1,2000, part of which was devoted to the enlargement and upkeep of the hospital. It was originally staffed by Essex/34, but since the creation of the new Detachment, Essex/28 has taken over the work entirely. Present accommodation is 57 beds. Commandant: Dr T. Blanchard Sellors.'

His death certificate states that he died of Rheumatic Fever and because of his age we are wondering if he was in/near Southend on Sea training new recruits. I wonder if such a facility would have been in the area? We have been unable to find any more service details but wonder if he was a territorial in the Beds yeomanry prior to 1914.

Can't speak with authority of better informed Pals, but his number does seem early, so a pre war Territorial might be likely answer.

Again, there were barracks at Shoebury, not far away, so possibly there although that seems to have been an artillery proving range.

You'd need someone with knowledge on Bedford Yeomanry, meantime try The Long, Long Trail (see link on masthead) for any clues as to whereabouts.

I'm just posting, so that someone else more knowledgeable will come to our rescue!

• 1 month later...

The Glen Hospital was on the corner of Southchurch Road and Southchurch Avenue. As Kevin says Bournemouth Park Road or just over the road on the South West corner of the junction. An office block is on the site now.

Andy.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for all your help, with the assistance of Southend Library Archives dept. I have found a photograph of The Glen Hospital. It is in a book called Southend on Sea - A Pictorial History. The author is deceased so I had to get copyright permission from her daughter but at last I have a photograph to include in our book.

Pleased to hear it!

There were a couple of pictures of the Glen in the local papers although the quality was not very good, but, it sounds like you have got the picture you were looking for.

Andy

• 5 years later...

A bit late on parade I know but I have a photo of the staff grouped at the front door - my grandmother was a volunteer nurse there from Oct 14 onwards. I have her autograph book full of stories and details written by her Belgian and British patients from Dixmude and Lizeres onwards.

• 9 months later...
On 27/03/2019 at 13:28, Mark Ashford said:

A bit late on parade I know but I have a photo of the staff grouped at the front door - my grandmother was a volunteer nurse there from Oct 14 onwards. I have her autograph book full of stories and details written by her Belgian and British patients from Dixmude and Lizeres onwards.

Mark - I am from Southend and belong to a local history facebook page. A photo similar to that you describe has come to light. I'm wondering if it is another copy of the photo belonging to your grandmother. I have posted it below. Looking forward to your reply. Very many thanks

2020-01-27 11.25.20.jpg