Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Penalty for SIWs

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I came across a very interesting service record the other day in a non-related search in WO 363. The record was of 49228 Pte William Bavister Machine Gun Corps, who in early 1918 was tried for shooting himself with a rifle in his right foot. Transcripts of every witness statement were included plus copies of his COs recommendation when he had been found guilty 'of rendering himself unfit for active service'. His sentence of 12 months hard labour was suspended on the recommendation of his CO and he was transferred to another MGC Bn where his duties 'were of an arduous nature within the face of the enemy'. During this period a recommendation for a gallentry award (MM or MiD?) was turned down flat. In addition he was over looked for demobilisation until nearly 1920, after being transferred once again to serve with the Army of Occupation.

An interesting read particularly seeing how the Army of the time dealt with such people.

Ian :)

Ian

It often happened that an act of gallantry was rewarded with the cancellation of the suspended sentence. This could explain why the recommendation for an award was turned down in this case.

Charles M

An example of this occurred in "C" Special Company RE. Pioneer Albert Boutillier was sentenced to 10 year imprisonment for striking his Sgt Major after an altercation on morning parade. His company commander regarded this as harsh and launched a successful appeal, the sentence being reduced to 2 years hard labour to be served after the war. This was also regarded as harsh and the company officers, knowing that the there was a possibilty that the sentence could be reduced further if Boutillier distinguished himself, launched a plan to get him off the hook.

A couple of months later, Boutillier was awarded the MM for rescuing a wounded man under fire and the sentence was duly quashed. The action for which he was awarded his MM was, unusually, was recorded in the company war diary.

Terry Reeves

Ian

Sounds like you got side tracked as I do on many occasions. As I fly through the microfilm I get used to a particular pattern of documents.

When something out of the ordinary appears I can't resist having a look.

Michael (very nosey) Mills

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Michael,

Exactly! :lol:

Its amazing what info turns up!

Letters from widows to the War Office about how their husbands died are the most moving :(

Ian

In the AIF every wounding, either Minor or Major was investigated by a court, either at unit or Brigade level, to establish if it was caused by SIW or accident.

I have a large number so looked at for things such as shooting one self to falling off a horse.

IF it was found to be an accident, it was so noted in the mans doc's.

So far I have not found one that has been proved but I am sure there must be?

S.B :rolleyes: