Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your Country Needs You

funfly

UG

But you know how memory plays tricks on us all. I wonder whether the ubiquity of the image at the time of writing meant it was that image she thought she remembered, whereas it may have been the one in post 520 which it seems to me crops up more often in pictures of the time

David

Proof, if any was needed, that we remember what we think we remember..

I think that during the last year we have heard such a combination of good stuff and absolute rubbish, even the BBC stating the centenary was of the end of the Great War!

Been round the block on this thread as well, Leete would be proud. I even sold one of my own books to a Mr. Leete

Have a good 2015 everyone.

Martyn Thatcher

• 9 months later...
Guest Ian Sayer

I realise that this post has been inactive for quite a while but I found it extremely interesting as my great uncle Louis Peroni (1874-1968) was employed by Bassano and took photographs of Lord Kitchener. I am trying to establish if he was the photographer who actually took the photo that Leete used for his famous poster and I thought that you chaps might be able to prove or disprove the possibility.

First of all I should say that I have no evidence to suggest that Louis (later known as Arthur Lewis) ever stated that he took that particular photo but he did make a comment in a 1967 magazine which lends some credence to the possibility.

In his obituary it states 'On leaving school he was apprenticed to Bassano, the court photographers, and in 1899 his photograph of Lord Kitchener of Khartoum was used as the frontispiece of the Penrose Annual. Earlier this year I managed to acquire a copy of the Penrose Annual for 1899 and, sure enough, there was a photo of Lord Kitchener as the frontispiece (attributed to Bassano).

In the May 14th 1965 edition of the British Journal of Photography there is a six page article entitled '100 years of Portraiture. In it appears a photograph of Lord Kitchener and the last three pages include some interesting comments from my great uncle concerning Bassano, Lord Kitchener and Queen Victoria. I am attaching copies and would welcome comments and views on the likelyhood or possibility that Louis was responsible for the photo that Leete based his artwork on.

Many thanks

Ian Sayer

post-124796-0-20247600-1445002696_thumb.

post-124796-0-60283500-1445002764_thumb.

post-124796-0-67753900-1445002880_thumb.

A tangential though, I think, interesting story relating to the editor of 'London Opinion', and the man who ultimately decided on the 5 September 1914 cover, Lincoln Springfield.

His son, Arthur Lincoln Springfield, was initially educated at Wilson's Grammar School, Camberwell; when Lincoln was promoted to the editorship, he moved Arthur to the fee-paying Dulwich College.

After leaving Dulwich in 1908, Arthur decided to 'scribble on the back of adverts' like his father. He joined 6/London Regiment (Rifles), long associated with the printing and journalist trades, in 1910. He served with the battalion for about eighteen months before being discharged at his own request - the reason being that he was to go to Newfoundland to the paper mills of his father's boss and owner of Associated Newspapers, Lord Northcliffe, in order to learn paper-making and have the experience of travel, etc. This of course is at a time when very, very few Britons went abroad, particularly across the Atlantic. He sailed from Glasgow on the 'Tritonia', Donaldson Line, on 21 September 1911. His destination was Botwood, a small town which was a major export port for newsprint until 2009.

Fast forward a few years to the declaration of war. On 10 August, a month or so before his father approved the Kitchener cover, Arthur joined the HAC. On 3 September, so did his younger brother Irving. As Arthur had previous training with 6/LR, he joined the BEF with 1/HAC in September 1914. He served with them until June 1915, being wounded once and promoted to LCpl. In August 1915, he entered Sandhurst as a Gentleman Cadet and was commissioned into the Somerset Light Infantry in November. He joined the 6th Battalion in France and served with them throughout until 9 April 1917, when as Bombing Officer he was killed on the first day of the Battle of Arras - 600 yards in front of the battalion's final objective, the Wancourt Line (for those that know the battlefield). He is buried in Tigris Lane Cemetery, within sight of where he was killed.

- brummell