Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your Country Needs You

funfly

Please forgive me for posting here as I have already put this post in the 'Home/Recruitment' section. From previous posts a few years ago you may know that I have a particularly interested in this poster.

I desperately need a photograph of the Kitchener 'Britons, Wants You' or a more well known 'Your Country Needs You' poster at the time it was printed and displayed.

The photograph has to show the poster somewhere in public view in the period 1914 to 1916.

I have one grainy photo showing it on the side of a tram but I need some more contemporary evidence.

Written word is not wanted as there is plenty of this but complicated because there were at least two other 'Kitchener' posters.

Would really appreciate any help you can give.

Mart

First one is fine, I have it as you gave it to me before, however it doesn't have a picture of the Kitchener poster.

Second one is just what I want - thanks. Not a photo but better than nothing. I would like to place a date for it or give it a reference in some way.

The photograph has to show the poster somewhere in public view in the period 1914 to 1916.

My downstairs loo 2013 no good then? :whistle:

post-79848-0-17084100-1374943867_thumb.j

Explanation:

I am writing another book about the Kitchener poster where I have delved in depth regarding the surroundings and the progress itself. There is no doubt in my mind that the poster was well seen in 1914 and it inspired copies at the time.

My book is due to be published in October this year. However I have discovered that another book is being published about the same poster which claims...

...a new book that explodes the popular myths surrounding the famous World War I recruitment poster featuring Lord Kitchener with pointing finger, exhorting you to 'do your bit'. It argues that although the Lord Kitchener image is much loved and indisputably a design classic, an official recruitment poster of the image never even existed!

The simple striking image of Lord Kitchener, with his steely stare, accusing finger and the memorable slogan "Your Country Needs YOU", it is a poster that we all feel we know so well. It’s widely believed to have been the most popular design of World War I and one that was instrumental in recruiting millions of men for active service. 'However, the truth is: that simply wasn’t the case. It’s an urban myth.

'Government records and photos from the time reveal the quite shocking fact that "Your Country Needs YOU" is, in fact, an imagined poster. Although there were more than 200 wartime posters produced by official and private organisations, there is no evidence of the existence of a poster featuring a finger-pointing Lord Kitchener with mass appeal.

I have a great deal of evidence showing that the poster did exist but very little pictorial evidence. My own book will question the above claim but I could do with pictorial evidence of the poster in situ.

Who better to ask that the group on here.

Funfly - this is strangely compelling and frustrating. Despite the Times welcoming the apeal by Lord K and stating that every bus and shop window displays the poster any photographic evidence is almost impossible to find. surely if it was so ubiquitous then any contemporary photograph of say a London street scene, shops or buses would show the poster - I can find none. this is best that I could do and its a long way off what you need.

happy hunting

post-55662-0-26949600-1374954941_thumb.j

It is, as you say, frustrating.

The poster was seen as it was very quickly copied by the US (Uncle Sam) and by European countries,

There was even an 'official' poster later on using the same image - you've probably not seen this one either but it did exist (it's in the IWM).

kitchener.jpg

Mart

Robigunner88

Brilliant Thanks

Mart

Is it contemporary use or a later display? I think your photo evidence will need to be very very evident that it is contemporary

Is it contemporary use or a later display? I think your photo evidence will need to be very very evident that it is contemporary

Totally agree, everything I use will be authenticated. In the case of the Railway posters this could be a later display but the museum should be able to help me on this.

Appreciate the input.

Mart

Totally agree, everything I use will be authenticated. In the case of the Railway posters this could be a later display but the museum should be able to help me on this.

Appreciate the input.

Mart

I will keep looking as i know i have seen it somewhere on an unmistakable contemporary picture noted in a different context - frustrating that i cannot find it but don't worry others will no doubt help

Bottle of Champaign to everyone who sends a contemporary picture.

- well I will post an image of one ;-), can't afford real ones!

Mart

Not sure if this is the right war....

post-100478-0-58561500-1375027551_thumb.

Appreciate the input.

Mart

If it helps, being Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway it's extremely likely to be pre-1923 as it became the London Midland Scotland railway after then

The LYR station in Liverpool was Exchange, now closed but replaced by nearby Moorfields, for Merseyrail local services only.

D

There is a Kitchener poster in this photograph, however, I don't think it is the one you are looking for. It must be 1916 or later as it says "he did his duty. Will you do yours?"

ww1rec.jpg

I find it amazing that none of the photographs of recruiting cars, stands or offices seem to show the poster you are looking for!

Likewise, this appeal for photos has taken me a bit by surprise. Convinced they can't be that scarce I've spent some time today trying to figure out where the photographic evidence is that this iconic poster ever existed at all! Eventually I've turned to the numerous Pathe newsreels to try and find it in the background, but so far have still drawn a blank. On a plus note, I did come up with the following set of films entitled: 'Time to remember 1915'. The first one opens with some period film of the very poster, pasted onto a wall, but don't ask me where it is, however the rest of the films, make the time spent searching for the poster well worth while. David

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/time-to-remember-your-country-needs-you-1915-ree-3/query/lord+kitchener+poster

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/time-to-remember-your-country-needs-you-1915-ree-2/query/Time+To+Remember+Your+Country+Needs+You+1915

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/time-to-remember-your-country-needs-you-1915-ree-1/query/Time+To+Remember+Your+Country+Needs+You+1915

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/time-to-remember-your-country-needs-you-1915-reel/query/Time+To+Remember+Your+Country+Needs+You+1915

Perhaps, like the original, it was used predominately in newspapers and magazines?