Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle nomenclature

historydavid

Some batles are designated as First, Second, Third etc (ex Ypres and Somme) whereas others (ex Albert) aren't.

I would be grateful if anyone could explain the reason for this?

I hope I am not covering old ground.

historydavid

David, the names were fixed by a Battles Nomenclature Committee. It`s reasonable that two battles taking place on the same ground should bear the same name, as the name is usually that of a major geographical feature. Generally speaking, only the major heading (eg Battles of the Somme) would be numbered 1,2 etc. Under the major heading would be the individual battles (eg Albert, Flers-Courcelette). Strictly speaking, I don`t think there is a Battle of the Somme, only a collection of battles constituting the Battles of the Somme in a particular year. A soldier KIA 1/7/16 was technically killed in the Battle of Albert, one of the Battles of the Somme 1916. Hope that helps! Phil B

Strictly going by the Nomenclature Committee, in 1916 there were the Battles of Albert, Bazentin Ridge, Delville Wood, Pozieres etc etc constituting the Battles of the Somme 1916.

Officially The First Battle of the Somme was in April 1918 as it was one big battle not a collection of battles.

The Second Battle of the Somme was in August 1918.

However when people speak of The Somme they usually are referring to the 1916 battles.

Confusing ain't it!!! :blink:

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for your quick responses Malcom & PhilB.

I presume the Bat. Nom. Com. issued a report listing their decisions. Does anyone know if it is available on the Internet because I think it would be a great help to me?

historydavid

David

You'll find a good description plus lots of detail on the mother site by following the "Western Front" link.

SN