Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army ordnance corps role?

Lonnie D56

Can any one help with a rough over view of the role of the army ordnance corps in world war one. With particular attention to the role of those members that were attatched to infantry regiments. Were they used at battalion level and how did there role differ from say the army service corps. My grandfather was i am told an armorer artificer, for certain he had the rank of armourer sergeant or armourer staff sergeant before he was demobilised. What would have been his role in the organisation of a battalion beacause i know he was a some time attatched to the royal welch fusiliers. Sorry to waffle so much but any helpful information would be greatly recieved.

Lonnie

The role of the AOC was the issue of stores and equipment. Armourers were part of the Corps and were attached to units for the repair of arms.

The role of the ASC was transport and supply. They also ran army bakeries and abattoirs. In addition they had a number of remount companies and in this respect some of this work overlapped with that of the Army Veterinary Corps.

Terry Reeves

You could also try getting in touch with the museum/archive of the Royal Logistics Corp. I believe there is a history published of the AOC for ... I forget the exact period, but something like 1902- 1918, although I hope I am not confusing this with a similar history of the ASC. A good reference library or the IWM Reading Room should have a copy.

Just for the record, I understand the prefix "Royal" was granted in late 1918 or early 1919, and the Army Ordnance Corps referred to Other Ranks, whereas Army Ordnance Dept referred to the Officers (although I have seen officers referred to as members of the Army Ordnance Corps Department)!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael Orr

If your grandfather was an artificer attached to an infantry battalion he was surely involved in repairing weapons & other equipment rather than issuing stores. The modern REME did not escape from the Ordnance Corps until the Second World War but the trades existed in the First War. There is a brief history of the REME on their museum web-site which might give you a start. http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/remeass/history.htm

Michael Orr

RAOC was responsible for Ordnance Stores only in the store keeping role, RASC other stores.

Any help over what was what and how decided would be helpful as it has always puzzled me. From what I can remember uniforms and weapons are ordnance stores, food, petrol, oil and lubricants are RASC stores.

RAOC also stored and inspected ammunition and provided baths and laundries.

The role of the Corps changed a lot over its life.