Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Official History of Australia in the War 1914 - 1918

kylieb

I have recently been given a complete 12 volume set of The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914 - 1918. They were given to me by my Uncle & previously belonged to my Grandfather. All but Vol XII are in pristine condition & in their original boxes with the plain dust cover intact (in fact 10 of the 11 boxes have not been opened!) Vol XII The Photographic Record shows some wear & has been well read but I would consider it to be in Very Good to Excellent condition.

I know that complete sets especially in a condition such as these are quite valuable & difficult to come by so I was thinking I should list them separately on my home contents insurance. I plan on getting them properly valued but in the meantime can someone please give me a rough idea of what this set might be worth.

Cheers,

Kylie

Speak to your insurers direct; presumably first edition? If you have a lot of books, get them insured as a block option, I would have thought. Check on sites to see what the going replacement rate might be as well before you speak to the insurers.

Full boxed sets like these go for around 2,500. They are not as uncommon as you think, Volume 12 not pristine would impact the insured value by up to 20%.

In general these volumes can be had for £50 - £100 each but here the real value lies in the fact of them being boxed & jacketed which makes them much more desirable to a collector. I would suggest at least £150 - £200 per volume.

Like I said £2,500, a better set than this sold for that on ABE recently.