Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Gravestone Photos Request


Recommended Posts

Kitchener's Bugle

Alf, from your original list...... R J Owens, from Ashton-in-Markerfield........... :thumbsup:

post-91995-0-01537700-1383495155_thumb.j

post-91995-0-67785900-1383495217_thumb.j

post-91995-0-48924500-1383495249_thumb.j

post-91995-0-43090600-1383495275_thumb.j

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark,

Many thanks for taking the photos. If you can send me higher definition that would be great. Also, if you can find out more information that would also be much appreciated.

Regards,

Alf

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Colne Cemetery. I wonder why some CWGC headstones appear to be so deeply embedded compared to most others.

IMG_2439_zps47e95cac.jpg

Colne's town war memorial.

IMG_2253_zps9bc865b2.jpg

IMG_2250_zps2eacbe58.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Berenice,

I've seen this in Ryecroft Cemetery, Walsall.

I notified the CWGC that a couple of headstone were broken and lying down. When I went back they had been put back in the ground very similar to your example above,

Regards,

Graeme

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

Would anyone, by any chance, have the headstone photographs for

Greenacres Cemetery, Oldham

I've been researching

Private 128882 William Handel Carpenter, RAMC, who is buried in Grave 112.C.E.74

if anyone has these.

Many thanks,

Graeme

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Tyldesley Cemetery

IMG_7668.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

Tyldesley war memorial is in the cemetery.

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 years later...
On 21/07/2013 at 17:11, alf mcm said:



Blackrod Cemetery, Lancashire –
John OWEN Berenice- Photo received

 

Hello, sorry to reply to such an old thread but I am a also researching John Owen. 

 

I was wondering if you have published this work on bangour?

I would be very interested in reading it as I am trying to find when/ why he was sent there and the circumstances of his wounds/ illness. I have his death certificate and other information on war service if interested. Btw re: Owen Owen on the memorial, that is John Owen's cousin I believe. Also on the memorial is James Owen, John's younger brother.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Jack,

   Welcome to the forum.

   My Bangour research is still not complete even after all these years. Other things crop up, but I do add to it occasionally.

  I can’t tell you when John arrived at Bangour, but it was certainly after 11th February 1919. {This was when he was discharged to Class ‘Z’ Reserve}. He would have been called back to the army if hostilities started again.  John would have been given very good medical care at Bangour. Although it’s called Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, it’s not near Edinburgh, and is in a different County. It began life as the Edinburgh District Asylum, Bangour, and was located in Linlithgowshire. It was newly built and opened in 1904 to house asylum patients from Edinburgh. Linlithgowshire asylum patients had to travel to Stirling or Falkirk! Most of the buildings were still standing until early this year and it was possible to walk round the site. However it is now being developed and many of the original buildings have been demolished. Bangour had its own railway siding, and patients were taken off trains there and put in motor ambulances and taken to their wards.

  Once you have made a few more posts I will be able to send you what I have on John Owen.

  I have also noticed a Michael Owen on the Blackrods Memorial. Could he be a relation?

Regards,

Alf McM

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2020 at 20:04, alf mcm said:

Hello Jack,

 

   Welcome to the forum.

 

   My Bangour research is still not complete even after all these years. Other things crop up, but I do add to it occasionally.

 

  I can’t tell you when John arrived at Bangour, but it was certainly after 11th February 1919. {This was when he was discharged to Class ‘Z’ Reserve}. He would have been called back to the army if hostilities started again.  John would have been given very good medical care at Bangour. Although it’s called Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, it’s not near Edinburgh, and is in a different County. It began life as the Edinburgh District Asylum, Bangour, and was located in Linlithgowshire. It was newly built and opened in 1904 to house asylum patients from Edinburgh. Linlithgowshire asylum patients had to travel to Stirling or Falkirk! Most of the buildings were still standing until early this year and it was possible to walk round the site. However it is now being developed and many of the original buildings have been demolished. Bangour had its own railway siding, and patients were taken off trains there and put in motor ambulances and taken to their wards.

 

  Once you have made a few more posts I will be able to send you what I have on John Owen.

 

  I have also noticed a Michael Owen on the Blackrods Memorial. Could he be a relation?

 

Regards,

 

Alf McM

 

This is fascinating I didn't realise it was after the war, very much looking forward to anything else you have to say, thank you

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are still looking for Sam Harvie and Harry Matthews graves in Southern Cemy, I am seeking a few Manchester's of WW11 in February (post lockdown) and can look for your boys at the same time.

 

All the best   Christine Booth

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Christine,

  Welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind offer.

I am still looking for a photo of Samuel Harvie's gravestone.

I would also appreciate a photo of Harry Matthews gravestone.

 

Regards,

Alf McM

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Hello again Alf

I took photos of the two soldiers gravesites in Southern Cemetery, Manchester, on Thursday 22 April.

1. Results below for Matthews:

Harry Matthews is buried in a family grave H2466 as a WW1 soldier who passed away in Edinburgh on 1 July 1918 at the age of 24. His brother W V Matthews is also here killed I think at the Battle of Menin Road, Ypres, on 20 September 1917. I say that because my great-uncle was also in 1/4 South Lancashire Regiment at that time. My research assistant transcribed the headstone:

"In Loving Memory. Thomas P Matthews who died March 16th 1908. Aged 59 years. also Caroline the beloved wife of the above who died February 22nd 1917. Aged 52 years. Rest in Peace.   Also Pte. Harry Matthews 251620 2nd M/c Regt. their beloved son who died of wounds received in action July 1st 1918. Aged 24 years.

Also Pte. W.V. Matthews 235307 1st 4th South Lancs. their beloved son who was killed Sept. 20th 1917. Aged 38 years.   Also Annie their dearly loved daughter of above who died Oct. 7th 1922. Aged 25 years. "  The family all died within 14 years of each other. The ages of the parents are a little obscured so I made my best guess from 'feeling' the hollows. 

 

To aid location if you wish to visit, the site is north of Horse chestnut Avenue, immediately east of the North Chapel, in the south-east corner flanked by a horse chestnut tree bearing a bird box. The stone also faces north (ie away from the path) opposite a larger black headstone marked 'Ryman'.

 

Best wishes Christine

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0936.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

DSC_0944.JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

To Alf 

 

2. The results for Harvie are below: photos taken at Southern Cemetery 22 April 2021. There is no grave as such but a memorial garden where ashes have been scattered (where appropriate) and a gathering of other war graves. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission are due next month so the gardeners are out in force, watering the grass on Yew Avenue to the right of the main gate and office (from Barlow Moor Rd) .

Samuel Harrison Harvie is 'buried' in the Q consecrated section labelled as Q C/E (Church of England) . There is a large semi-circular stone memorial carved with names listed alphabetically. "302087 Private S. Harvie. Manchester Regiment. 25.12.1918".                                                                                                                     . DSC_0931.JPG.91d4a06e51f0aa4793744fda1868d078.JPGSamuel passed away on 25 December 1918 at the age of 21.

 

A map of the cemetery is available to download from Manchester Council.

 

Best wishes Christine

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0935.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0934.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Haworth said:

Hello again Alf

I took photos of the two soldiers gravesites in Southern Cemetery, Manchester, on Thursday 22 April.

1. Results below for Matthews:

Harry Matthews is buried in a family grave H2466 as a WW1 soldier who passed away in Edinburgh on 1 July 1918 at the age of 24. His brother W V Matthews is also here killed I think at the Battle of Menin Road, Ypres, on 20 September 1917. I say that because my great-uncle was also in 1/4 South Lancashire Regiment at that time. My research assistant transcribed the headstone:

"In Loving Memory. Thomas P Matthews who died March 16th 1908. Aged 59 years. also Caroline the beloved wife of the above who died February 22nd 1917. Aged 52 years. Rest in Peace.   Also Pte. Harry Matthews 251620 2nd M/c Regt. their beloved son who died of wounds received in action July 1st 1918. Aged 24 years.

Also Pte. W.V. Matthews 235307 1st 4th South Lancs. their beloved son who was killed Sept. 20th 1917. Aged 38 years.   Also Annie their dearly loved daughter of above who died Oct. 7th 1922. Aged 25 years. "  The family all died within 14 years of each other. The ages of the parents are a little obscured so I made my best guess from 'feeling' the hollows. 

 

To aid location if you wish to visit, the site is north of Horse chestnut Avenue, immediately east of the North Chapel, in the south-east corner flanked by a horse chestnut tree bearing a bird box. The stone also faces north (ie away from the path) opposite a larger black headstone marked 'Ryman'.

 

Best wishes Christine

DSC_0953.JPG

DSC_0936.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

DSC_0944.JPG

DSC_0950.JPG

 

Hello Christine,

Many thanks for the excellent photos of Harry Matthews gravestone. I didn’t know his brother also died during the war, or his sister Annie soon after. According to Freebmd Thomas Phibbs Matthews did die in 1908, aged 59. Caroline Matthews died in 1917, age 53. It is possible that the wrong age was put on the gravestone. Southern Cemetery appears to be a big cemetery, judging from the length of Horse Chestnut Avenue and the gravestones on either side of it.

I appreciate you taking these photos.

Regards,

Alf McM

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Haworth said:

To Alf 

 

2. The results for Harvie are below: photos taken at Southern Cemetery 22 April 2021. There is no grave as such but a memorial garden where ashes have been scattered (where appropriate) and a gathering of other war graves. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission are due next month so the gardeners are out in force, watering the grass on Yew Avenue to the right of the main gate and office (from Barlow Moor Rd) .

Samuel Harrison Harvie is 'buried' in the Q consecrated section labelled as Q C/E (Church of England) . There is a large semi-circular stone memorial carved with names listed alphabetically. "302087 Private S. Harvie. Manchester Regiment. 25.12.1918".                                                                                                                     . DSC_0931.JPG.91d4a06e51f0aa4793744fda1868d078.JPGSamuel passed away on 25 December 1918 at the age of 21.

 

A map of the cemetery is available to download from Manchester Council.

 

Best wishes Christine

DSC_0932.JPG

DSC_0935.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

DSC_0934.JPG

 

Hello again Christine,

. Thanks again for the excellent photos. The ones of Samuel's name on the memorial are nice and clear, the rose is a nice touch! The CWGC headstones look most impressive.

 

Regards,

Alf McM

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are very welcome. It was just the sort of quest I enjoy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...