Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Gravestone Photos Request

alf mcm

Having a bit of difficulty at St Thomas's Ashton-in-Makerfield in identifying the right section of the graveyard(s). I need to contact the church office.which doesn't seem to reply to my e-mails. I will have to leave it until next week now because of other arrangements. Sorry for the delay

Ian

Thanks Shred,

What a nice surprise, and what an interesting gravestone. I f you can do Weaste Cemetery that would be great.

Regards,

Alf

Thanks Shred,

The photos are great. John Vernon Leigh was married, so perhaps the wife of Richard Croston was his daughter. I will have to check.

James Hunt's headstone is in a terrible state, it would be great if you could report the damage to CWGC. It's incredible to think there are 7 men buried in the same plot.

Regards,

Alf

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have a go at Chatburn unless anyone else has already offered offline.

• 2 weeks later...

Blackrod Cemetery. His name is on the village memorial in the cemetery; do you want a photo of that too?

DSC04013_zps25acf87e.jpg

This inscription is immediately behind the CWGC headstone.

DSC04015_zpsd5a02782.jpg

DSC04016_zps447e7528.jpg

Thanks Berenice,

I wasn't expecting a photo from Blackrod; what a nice surprise. The photos are excellent. The engraved stone was obviously done before the cwgc headstone was put in place. I would appreciate a photo of John's name on the village memorial if that is possible.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards,

Alf

Hello Berenice,

Thanks yet again. I appreciate you taking the time to take these photos. I must check to see if William and Owen Owen are relations.

Regards,

Alf

Sorted. I'll try to visit some of your other 'wants' - Colne, maybe the Liverpool area ones too, when I get the opportunity.

Colne Cemetery–

Sylvester PETTY

I haven't got a photo of his headstone (if he has one... this is another cemetery that I took my camera to in an idle half hour. If he had, I'd have thought I'd have photographed it, but I recall being more intrigued by the large Titanic model that someone had placed on Wallace Hartley's marker than concentrating on what I went in there for!) , but this image of the actual chap (from Colne's pictorial version of the Roll of Honour) might be of some use?

Dave

post-357-0-60056300-1378900911_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Dave.

I tried to PM you with some info on John Stuttard, but got the message that you couldn't accept PM's. Perhaps your mail box is full.

Regards,

Alf

Sorry Alf, I've only just returned to this topic so hadn't seen this post until today (my PM capability is disabled anyway).

Thanks for the offer of info re: Stuttard, but, even though I'm from the town, I don't really have all that much interest in the individual stories of the men who came from Burnley and fought in the Great War (my own relatives apart) so the info would probably be wasted on me. However, a good friend of mine (Andy Gill) runs the 'Burnley in the Great War' website and I'm sure he would be delighted to receive any information you have on Stuttard. Perhaps you could get in touch with him via his website? (It can be found at http://www.burnleyinthegreatwar.info/ ... his contact details are on the first page)

Cheers.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

The photo is definitly of interest to me. Which Roll of Honour are you referring to?

Regards,

Alf

Its just entitled "Roll of Honour" and just covers Colne and neighbouring villages... can't find a publication date (1920's). This version was the pictorial version (another exists, but is purely a listing of names)

Its just entitled "Roll of Honour" and just covers Colne and neighbouring villages... can't find a publication date (1920's). This version was the pictorial version (another exists, but is purely a listing of names)

He also appears in the 'Greater Burnley Roll of Honour' .......

post-357-0-62673400-1378902304_thumb.jpg

My own "wants" is in the "Classic" section but I am surprised how many I need from Lancashire when compared with other counties. So I am blatantly highjacking this thread in the hope that someone can help me. I need photographs from :-

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Kensal Green (unmarked plots), Littleborough, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

Any help will be gratefully received.

Jim

Are you sure about Kensal Green? Kersal seems more likely.

Walton, if St Mary's, can be very difficult to get access which may explain why it is still unclaimed.

D

Whoops. Not Kensal Green. A copy/paste error. And, yes, it is St. Mary's, Walton. Eliza Kennedy, a stewardess, is buried there. She is commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial but since her grave was discovered the CWGC has been approached to have her grave commemorated. Incidently, this was a while ago and I have heard nothing since about a commemoration.