Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Gravestone Photos Request

alf mcm

My own "wants" is in the "Classic" section but I am surprised how many I need from Lancashire when compared with other counties. So I am blatantly highjacking this thread in the hope that someone can help me. I need photographs from :-

LANCASHIRE, ... Greater Accrington, ...l

Is Accrington Cemetery included in 'Greater Accrington' ,Jim?

If so, then I have photos of all the CWGC headstones and a few of the non-CWGC ones from there if you need anything in particular.

Dave

Is Accrington Cemetery included in 'Greater Accrington' ,Jim?

If so, then I have photos of all the CWGC headstones and a few of the non-CWGC ones from there if you need anything in particular.

Dave

Dave, It's not a grave that I am after but a couple of memorials. As you have been quite thorough in Accrington here are the details.

Margaret Alice BARON, VAD, (died 22/10/18) and Ada WHITAKER, VAD, (died 1st 1/4 1916) are listed on the Greater Accrington Roll of Honour (first published in the Accrington Observer & Times, 1919). What I don't know is whether this Roll ever found it's way onto an Accrington War Memorial or was the basis of the Clayton-le-Moors War Memorial in Mercers Park (both names are on it - haven't got). I also have a note that Margaret's name was entered on the local St. John Ambulance memorial now in the new ambulance drill hall but I don't know if this is Accrington or Clayton-le-Moors as I forgot to make a note when I gathered the information.

Jim. Who do you want in Littleborough ? I have loads. Ralph.

Jim. Thornham ? Ralph.

Hello Ralph,

LITTLEBOROUGH - I have a note that a staff nurse Valentine is on the Roll of Honour in the Dearnley Methodist Church, New Road, Littleborough, near Rochdale.

THORNHAM - Ada KAY, VAD (died 24/9/24) has her name on the memorial in St. James' Church, Thornham, near Royston. Whilst I have a photograph of this it is a little distant and would like to get, if possible, another with a closer shot of her name. She died in Birkenhead but as she lived in Rochdale Road, Royton she must be buried locally but as yet I have not found her.

. I also have a note that Margaret's name was entered on the local St. John Ambulance memorial now in the new ambulance drill hall but I don't know if this is Accrington or Clayton-le-Moors as I forgot to make a note when I gathered the information.

It's on the memorial in the drill hall in Accrington (left hand panel, bottom name). Here's a photo I took a few years ago (mobile phone photo only, I'm afraid... I was on a first aid course at the time!).

I haven't got any images of Clayton war memorial.

Dave

post-357-0-11606200-1379418977_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have just been to look for the grave of John Woolley in Anfield but the grave ref is wrong. I have been in contact with the CWGC and have now got the correct details but the stone is face down. The CWGC are coming out at the end of the week to see about getting the stone turned over. I will go back after this and take a photo and also get the other two in Liverpool.

Hope this helps

Colin

Hi

I have got a photo of John Woolley's grave in Anfield (still upside down at the moment) and a photo of William Johnson's grave in West Derby.

I will add the photo's when I get John Woolley's (right side up) and A W Parker in Bootle next week.

Colin

Jim,

I had a short holiday, and when I came back my thread was hijacked!

I'm glad you've had a good response, but to avoid confusing this thread it might be good if replies were posted to your original thread, instead of this one.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Alf

I hope the photo's are ok for you, if not I do have some more

William Johnson - West Derby

post-94250-0-05967800-1379584091_thumb.j

John Woolley - Anfield ( still upside down but CWGC coming out today or tomorrow to turn over )

post-94250-0-73723600-1379584132_thumb.j

Colin Madden

Jim,

I had a short holiday, and when I came back my thread was hijacked!

I'm glad you've had a good response, but to avoid confusing this thread it might be good if replies were posted to your original thread, instead of this one.

Regards,

Alf

Alf, I agree with you. The problem is that my original thread is in "Classic Threads" and I fear that few people look in there because it is full of other threads which,seem to be there just because there are a lot of postings. Consequently my thread quickly gets lowered in the order. I had hoped that "Classic Threads" would be full of research threads but it seems to be taken over by "What WW1 books are you reading", "Favourite Gravestone Inscription" and the like. I am most grateful to the administrators for allowing my thread to run and I could not have had such useful research and photographs relating to female casualties without the facility. I rarely look in "Classic Threads" any more and I am guessing that others are also turned off. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I have had a couple of useful responses and I expect that will be the end of it. Perhaps others who want to reply could come through the messaging facility. Once again, Alf, Sorry.

Jim,

No need to apologise, I'm just pleased that my thread has helped you. I know that every little piece of information helps. Perhaps you should start a new thread, with your first post indicating your 'wants' as of today's date? This way you would stay out opf the 'classic threads'.

Regards,

Alf

Hi Alf

Here are the other two photo's I said I would take for you. CWGC were quick getting the stone turned over, 3 days thought they would take longer

John Leech Woolley - Anfield

post-94250-0-96925200-1379687054_thumb.j

Albert William Parker - Bootle

post-94250-0-31854200-1379687030_thumb.j

If you need anymore just let me know

Colin Madden

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Shred,

The photos are great. John Vernon Leigh was married, so perhaps the wife of Richard Croston was his daughter. I will have to check.

James Hunt's headstone is in a terrible state, it would be great if you could report the damage to CWGC. It's incredible to think there are 7 men buried in the same plot.

Regards,

Alf

Alf,

I am pleased to report that the CWGC have repaired the headstone.

DSCF2493Large.jpg

Alf. Do you still require Manchester Southern x 2 Have to visit some time to sort out my wifes grandfathers name for his headstone inscription, don't know when though, she drives I don't . Ralph.

Here at last are the two from Bury Cemetery. Sorry it's taken so long for me to do them. Sadly, part of the inscription on the Warburton family grave has broken off. I could not find it nearby. I can send you much higher defintion versions if required and should be able to locate obits for the two men in the local newspapers.

post-120-0-66038200-1383493784_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-02942400-1383494043_thumb.jpg