Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Gravestone Photos Request

alf mcm

I would appreciate photographs of the following men’s gravestones, all in Lancashire, for possible inclusion in a book on patients who died at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour;-

Ashton-In-Makerfield {St. Thomas} Churchyard –
Richard John OWENS Kitchener's Bugle - Photos received

Ashton-Under-Lyne {Hurst} Cemetery –
Arnold MATTHEWS  Photo on Findagrave

Blackburn Cemetery –
Thomas William CARTER Berenice- Photo received

Blackpool {Leyton} Cemetery –
John ARMITT Berenice- Photos received
John James MARLAND Berenice - Photo received

Blackrod Cemetery, Lancashire –
John OWEN Berenice- Photo received

Bootle Cemetery –
Albert William PARKER Colin- Photo received

Burnley Cemetery –
John Thomas STUTTARD Dave - Photos received

Bury Cemetery, Redvales –
Peter MAWDSLEY Mark Hone - Photo received
Richard WARBURTON Mark Hone- Photo received

Chatburn {Christ Church} Churchyard -
James William HATFIELD Berenice - Photos received

Colne Cemetery–
Sylvester PETTY Berenice- Photo received

Farnworth Cemetery –
William MORRIS

Liverpool {Anfield} Cemetery –
John Leach WOOLEY Colin- Photo received

Liverpool {West Derby}Cemetery –
William JOHNSON Colin - Photo received

Manchester Southern Cemetery –
Samuel HARVIE Christine - Photos received
Harry MATTHEWS Photo on Findagrave

Salford {Agecroft} Cemetery –
Frank HARRISON Shred - Photo received

Salford {Weaste} Cemetery –
James HUNT Shred - Photo received
John Vernon LEIGH Shred - Photo received

Tyldesley Cemetery –
Daniel HOLLAND Berenice- Photo received

Warrington Cemetery –
Thomas John CORRIN Photos now on Findagrave

Widnes Cemetery –
John NICHOLSON Photos now on Findagrave

Regards,
Alf McM

Edit;- Stottart changed to Stuttard

Edited by alf mcm
Corrections

'Greater Manchester' has been consigned to the dustbin of History. Our school proudly identifies itself on official literature as being in 'Bury, Lancashire'.

If you don't get a better offer I'll be going to Blackburn Cemetery later this week so can have a look for Thomas William Carter then.

Local government may think otherwise but the county of Lancashire still extends from the district of Furness to the north bank of the Mersey.

D

Oh, you rebels!

Warrington never left the County Palatine of Lancaster in spirit. The loyal toast remains 'The Queen, Duke of Lancaster'.

Alf,

I will take on Ashton in Makerfield for you, Alf, [Richard John Owens] if there is no better offer but it might have to wait a week or so. Trips in to Warrington are less frequent and the cemetery is a bit of a nightmare but i could consider Thomas Corrin if you have no other offers. Sorry, if I sound less than enthusiastic but I am having a bit of trouble with my feet at the moment and am also very busy working with a team of students digitising our Museum archive.

Ian

Burnley Cemetery –

John Thomas STOTTARD

I don't think that John Thomas Stuttard (with a 'u', not an 'o') has a headstone, unfortunately. I've got photographs of every single military grave (CWGC or private spanning from the 1860's to 1979 - some 200 or so more than mentioned on the CWGC website) in Burnley cemetery and he doesn't appear in my files. He is, however, listed on the screen wall at the cemetery entrance. Would that do instead? (can also supply a photo of the man himself if required)

Dave

Ian,

It would be great if you could do Ashton in Makerfield. There is no hurry.

I will pencil you in for Thomas John Corrin at Warrington, but if any other member wants to offer, that would be great.

Regards,

Alf

Dave,

I would appreciate a photo of Thomas Stottard's name on the screen all, and also a picture of him as well. There are a lot of men who have no gravestone, even though the location of their grave may be known. You are right about the spelling of his surname, it is Stuttard. It's a case of not being able to read my own writing!

Regards,

Alf

I don't have a decent camera at the moment but if an image from a mobile phone is acceptable I may be able to get round to William Morris in Farnworth cemetery in a week or two.

And, yes most of the graves are still in Lancashire, what was Gt. Manchester was in effect the old Anglo Saxon admin. area of the Salford Hundreds (with a little bit of Cheshire). Before the introduction of the "county" of Gt. Manchester in the 1970's I remember organisations such as what is now known as Gt. Man. Transport were for a short time given the title SELNEC (South East LANCASHIRE & North East Cheshire)

If I die intestate with no claims to my estate it will go to the Duke & Duchy of Lancaster not HM the Queen :excl:.

Oh, you rebels!

Oh, you rebels!

There was a campaign a few years ago of covertly removing the boundary sign posts between Lancashire and the Met. Boroughs (Bolton, Bury etc.) that are adjacent to the admin. area that is now known as Lancashire.

We are still proud to be Lanastrians from the county where "Cotton was King"

Bill,

Thanks for the offer, that would be great. I can see where there is confusion as to what is in Lancashire.

Regards,

Alf

John Thomas Stuttard......

post-357-0-95354500-1374484787_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-40449200-1374484796_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-08539100-1374484834_thumb.jpg

Stuttard's photo from his 'Burnley Express' obituary, plus his entry in the 'Greater Burnley Roll of Honour'....

post-357-0-67602800-1374485471_thumb.jpg

post-357-0-49396100-1374485477_thumb.jpg

That was quick!

Well I already had all the images on my HD anyway (and , if I didn't, I'd only have had to walk 200 yds up the road to get them! :whistle:

Thanks again Dave.

I tried to PM you with some info on John Stuttard, but got the message that you couldn't accept PM's. Perhaps your mail box is full.

Regards,

Alf

Layton Cemetery, Blackpool

John James MARLAND

post-89807-0-45563000-1374772529_thumb.j

John ARMITT

A two day difference in the date of his death.

post-89807-0-46650600-1374772776_thumb.j

post-89807-0-49544100-1374772863_thumb.j

post-89807-0-97943600-1374772681_thumb.j

Hello Berenice,

Many thanks for the photos. The family gravestone is interesting, giving details of John's sisters. The date on this stone should be 6th November.

Regards,

Alf

I hope this is the one you want, Alf, he's the only Carter that the CWGC lists for Blackburn Cemetery.

post-89807-0-88936700-1375295715_thumb.j

Thanks Berenice,

That's him! I had him wrongly named as Thomas William Carter, but on his death certificate he is William Thomas Carter. Many thanks for the excellent photo.

Regards,

Alf