Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Brigade RFA

yardley

The following is a potted version of the movements of 55th Brigade RFA during the period August 1915 to February 1916:

55th Brigade RFA, part of the 10th (Irish) Division arrived at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli on 30th August 1915. Due the terrain and other factors the Drivers and horses were left behind at Mudros on the island of Lemnos.

When the 10th (Irish) Division moved from Gallipoli to Salonika in October 1915, the Artillery Brigades remained behind at Suvla. I am uncertain about the command structure but it is possible that they were attached to the 11th (Northern) Division.

The 55th Brigade RFA was evacuated from Suvla on 19th December and arrived at Mudros on 20th December where they remained until 28th December. It is assumed that during this period the drivers and horses rejoined the Brigade. From Mudros the Brigade sailed to Alexandria. They arrived in Egypt on 2nd January 1916 and stayed until 31st January.

The 55th Brigade joined the 13th (Western) Division in February 1916 and moved from Egypt to Mesopotamia.

I am keen to find any diaries which would shed some light on the structuring and reorganisation of the Brigade during this period. Any advice would be most welcome.

Yardley

There are two War Diaries at Kew for this unit.

WO95/4295 covers their time with 10 Division at Gallipoli from Jul 1915 to the end of Jan 1916.

WO95/5151 covers their time with 13 Division at Mespot,Iraq and North Persia from Feb 1916 to Feb 1919.

Neither are yet digital so need to be seen at Kew.

Dear Sotonmate,

Thank you for your message. I hope that it will not be too long before these War Diaries are digitised.

I wonder if any Forum members, who have an interest in Gallipoli and/or Royal Field Artillery, could suggest any other diaries. Commander Royal Artillery is a possibilty, but given the changes in command and control at this time, I am uncertain where to look. I have tried to use 'Discovery' without success.

kind regards

Yardley

Commander Royal Artillery 10 Division WO95/4830,and CRA 13Division WO95/ 5149.