Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Bridgford Military Hospital

ddycher

All. Trying to find out more about West Bridgford Military Hospital circa 1918. Have seen refs on the net that this may have been the pavilion at Trent Bridge but the Nottingham Evening Post appears to give conflicting refs. In September 1918 it appears to show this hospital as a VAD hospital at Trent Bridge Pavilion but in November 1918 it distinguishes between the two stating the Trent Bridge and West Bridgford were seperate hospitals. Were the Trent Bridge hospital and the Trent Bridge Pavilion hospitals two seperate places ? To add further confusion I have a list of hospitals for Northern Command which shows hospitals at West Bridgford and Trent Bridge Schools. Can anyone give me any pointers ? Regards Dave

Now know that Trent Bridge Junior School was the hospital mentioned in the Norther Command list. West Bridgford Council School is also there but not sure if this was West Bridgford Military Hospital yet. Regards Dave

Dave

The War Office list of hospitals, dated October 1917 gives:

Trent Bridge Council Schools (Hospital), providing 295 beds for other ranks in educational premises

West Bridgeford Council Schools (Hospital) providing 220 beds for other ranks in educational premises [spelling as given in list]

These two were not auxiliary hospitals, but 'sections' of Bagthorpe Military Hospital and central hospitals in their own right.

and shown separately:

Cricket Pavilion Auxiliary Hospital, Trent Bridge, providing 90 beds for other ranks, and overseen by Bagthorpe Military Hospital.

Sue

Thanks Sue

My grandfather was admitted to Bagthorpe in August 1918 and then transferred to West Bridgford and then the miltary hospital at the Albert Hall, Nottingham. He spent 11 months in hospital in Nottingham and I am trying to pull together an overview of his experiences there. Bagthorpe itself and the Albert Hall fairly strightforward but I am struggling with West Bridgford.

Regards

Dave

Sue

Is there anything on Musters Road Military Hospital, West Bridgford in the October '17 list ? Again trying to seperate ref's for this from West Bridgford and Trent Bridge.

Thanks

Dave

This is the complete list of hospitals that have 'Nottingham' in their details, excluding Clipstone Camp (Nottinghamshire) - other than that I claim clueless-ness :huh: Where there is no mention of premises, it normally indicates that these were opened in private houses or other privately owned accommodation.

Bagthorpe War Hospital, 806 beds, ORs in Poor Law Institution premises

Albert Hall Institute, 200 beds, ORs, Church premises

Berridge Road Council Schools, 200 beds, ORs, educational premises

Carrington Council Schools, 150 beds, ORs, educational premises

Sycamore Road Council Schools, 150 beds, ORs, educational premises

Trent Bridge Council Schools, 295 beds, ORs, educational premises

West Bridgford Council Schools, 220 beds, ORs, educational premises

Bagthorpe Isolation Hospital, 114 beds, ORs, in part of civil hospital

Bayley Auxiliary Hospital, 54 beds, ORs

The Cedars Auxiliary Hospital, Beeston, 30 beds, ORs

The Cedars Auxiliary Hospital, Mansfield Road, 55 beds, ORs

Bowden Auxiliary Hospital, 55 beds, ORs

Arnot Hill Auxiliary Hospital, Daybrook, 100 beds, ORs

Nottingham Eye Infirmary, 30 beds, ORs, part of civil hospital

Nottingham General Hospital, 250 beds, ORs, part of civil hospital

Mapperley Hall Hospital, 80 beds, ORs

Cricket Pavilion Auxiliary Hospital, Trent Bridge, 90 beds, ORs

Sue

Many thanks Sue I really appreciate you taking the time.

Best.

Dave